CHAPTER 59 - Of Reunions (Part I)

Start from the beginning

Orella would be the brightest star of the Winter Realm's skies from here on.

Nova had climbed the green elevation as if in a trance. And I knew what was to follow, but to witness it in person was an honor. If the books were to be believed, his name would be immortalized on the Throne too. High King Nova.

The old elderly High King Maris dropped on one knee; he put a fist over his chest and raised his other hand to the sky. His powerful Ice Magic flew from his fingertips. Lord Orlon followed; his Fire Magic ignited. I watched my mother stepping ahead, her Earth Magic dazzling her palm. Lords Nigel, Terran, Lenox, Angus along with Lady Arlette moved towards the green rug, along with many other soldiers.

Ralph did not leave Orella's side and neither did Una. Thence, I kneeled, deciding to raise my hands in their stead, in the stead of the rulers of my Realms. My magic mingled with all the powers swirling in the air above, which created a rainbow-like haze overhead. A few unhurt Eclipse soldiers, following my suit along with Althea and Dylan, flanked behind me, before releasing their strong powers up into the sky. The colors of all the Four Realms, of all the Twelve Houses, and even the Eclipses, revered the new High King as he finally sat on his rightful Throne.

It was a tribute to the new Conqueror. A vow of surrendering. A symbol of acceptance. A token to honor the new reign... To welcome a new tomorrow...

If it were some other Conquest, the Conqueror would be wearing the shiniest of the crown and a dazzling smile, while the whole world would drown in celebration. Though, it was all silent now, in everyone's hearts of heart... the joy of having him as our new High King was mutual. He had never needed anyone, to show him what all was wrong with the world... what all could be changed... what all needed to be changed. He had always been worthy, even when he hadn't meant to be.

The colors brightened to an extent that even the sun would be put to shame. The Air lapped fiercely, the ground whispered of mirth and prosperity, the frost turned its winter up a notch, but our bodies remained warm. Nova looked unfazed, his eyes flickering to Orella frequently.

He rose up quickly from the Throne as if it stung him. But then blinked his eyes, remembering instructions. "Rise!" His deep voice echoed in the otherworldly silence and we obliged. The magic overhead dispersed.

In a heartbeat, Nova climbed down and collapsed on his knees, a few paces away from where Una and Ralph held Orella. The Throne vanished behind him like a phantom.

He looked so alone in the moment and I could only imagine how he must be feeling. He wouldn't like being called with any title... he just wanted to be free and normal. I knew what it felt to be an unwilling hero, to be alone even in a crowd. I rushed ahead on a whim. Kneeling in front of him, I took his magically pulsating hands in mine. I'd be the friend he had been when I was lost.

My story had ended and his was just beginning.

Nova squeezed my hands and his tears flew down his cheeks, soundless sobs rumbling in his chest. I held in my own sorrow, as my heart broke and broke. He had lost two people in the blink of an eye, and I knew not how someone recovered from that.

"I killed my own brother." He whispered with his eyes still shut.

"No, you didn't. I did." I spoke quickly, enfolding his palms, "I brought him down. I told you how to kill him. His death is on me. And I want his death to be on me." I meant every word.

Nova was silent for a while. Then he slowly opened his sore eyes to look into mine, "But I lost him. Lost... everything."

Comforting someone had never been my area of knowhow, and so, I only cried with him, our tears falling on the ground one after another, landing on our clasped together hands.