Beginnings

“When I see your face, there’s not a thing that i would change. ‘Cause you're amazing...just the way you are. And when you smile...the whole world stops and stares for a while…yeah oh ‘cause you're amazing just the way you are…” a soft voice sung softly as the owner of the voice shuffled through their locker. It was the middle of their period, but being the idiot the were, forgot their math homework in their locker. Sighing Korra grabbed the stupid algebra worksheet she’d spent an hour working on, and just in time too. Her locker was suddenly slammed shut making her jolt back. “Aye what th-” Korra yelled, but stopped short seeing exactly it was who’d slammed her locker shut. She stood there wide eyed as she looked into green emerald eyes. Asami Sato’s green emerald eyes. “Oh sorry i didnt mean to scare you...I called your name a few times, but you didnt listen so...I resorted to that.” Asami said with an apologetic smile at the end. Korra turned a light red and looked away quickly laughing nervously. “H-hah! No problem! Sorry I uh..space off a bit.” She explained trying to calm her cheeks.

Asami Sato was one of the most popular girls at their high school, Republic high. And gosh was she beautiful, pale smooth like skin, large green eyes, black silky hair, small waist, legs that looked like they could go on forever… “Uh..earth to Korra?”  A voice said pulling her out of her thoughts. “S-Sorry!” Seriously, she really had to work on the spacing off thing. Asami laughed gently and shook her head, “It’s alright really.” she replied gently. Korra looked away a bit and then her eyes widened “how’d you know my name?” she asked looking at the other girl before her. Korra never really made a point on getting to know anyone, thought that people were just a way to get hurt. Sure she’d had friends before, but they were the reason why she created the new rule on getting close to people. So Korra being under the radar led to this question, how did one of the most popular people in the school, know a under ranker like Korra’s name?

Asami shrugged and smiled “I’ve seen you around a bit.” Seen her around? What did that mean? “Well anyways, I heard you singing and well I thought that...I thought it was really beautiful. You should try out for the talent show.” She said with a bright smile she always had on. Korra's heart jumped up into her throat and her cheeks once more turned a bright red. “I...uh...I-I’ve gotta get to class!” She said and scurried off to her math class leaving the girl behind to stare at her as she ran. After getting into class successfully and turning in her homework, she sat at her desk staring down at the blanked lined paper that lay on the desk. Why was her heart beating so fast? Why did she blush when Asami said that she like her singing? Was she...surely she wasn't...but what if… Shaking her head furiously she closed her eyes and pushed away all thoughts about why she reacted that way. No. She could not have a crush on Asami Sato.

The rest of Korra’s classes flew by in no time, and she soon found herself sitting out by the old tree in the almost empty grass. Sighing to herself she pulled her lunch out of her backpack and was relieved to see that it hadn't been too badly smashed from being in there all day. She was so focused on trying to get her sprite open, she hadn't even noticed that someone had taken their place right next to her. “Need some help?” a soft voice said scaring the crap out of the oblivious girl. “Uh...why are you here?” Korra replied right after, cursing herself for doing so. “W-wait! Not like in a mean way or anything! Just uh...yes please.” and with that she handed the drink over to the emerald eyed girl, while hanging her head in shame and embarrassment.

Asami laughed gently at the girls flusterness. ‘Well, I saw you sitting alone and thought you might want some company.” yup, that was Asami Sato in one sentence. Always looking out for people, always having that beautiful smile on her lip that probably the whole school body has thought abou- wait! Bad thoughts! No korra! A slight crunch and a sizzle thankfully pulled her out of her trance and she looked to see that ASami had opened the can for her and was now handing it back. “Oh well um...thanks.” Korra replied, taking a sip afterwards. “It’s not a problem.” The lighter of them said and ran a hand through her long black hair. There was an awkward silence for a few seconds, and Korra was going to tell the other that she could leave if she wanted to, but was beat to speaking. “You know, I was serious about what I said earlier. Your voice really is amazing, and I think you’d be really good in the talent show.” Asami said with one of her sincere smiles making Korra blush. “Thanks but...I-I’m...I get nervous on stage..” she explained embarrassedly.

Asami held her chin and looked as if she was thinking about something. “I’ve got it. How about I help you overcome your fear, and in return you try out?” She suggested, her eyes sparkling while she did. Korra gulped and fiddled with her soda while looking up at the sky. She could say no thanks and go back to being a nobody that walked the halls, with their head low. Or she could get over her fear, and spend time with Asami. Maybe they could even become...friends. Yeah friends. She took in a large breath and slowly let it out before looking the beautiful girl in the eyes. “I’ll do it.”