37- this little light of mine

1 week and five days ago

Atop another warehouse, Dabi and M/n were crouched like bird-watchers, skimming the crowd with searching eyes.

"Them." Dabi's tone was succinct with a dominant command. Following his line of sight, M/n gulped at the group of kids in an alleyway, fooling around and showing off each-others' wins from the arcade.

He knew those faces, though blurry in his memory, they bobbed up as people he went to middle school with. Perhaps not friends, but maybe they embodied the grouchy 'good mornings' or 'it's so cold in here' or 'when does this lesson end?'.

Those little sentences, to M/n, kept him running on a sane path. Made him feel normal. Those worthless interactions are what seeded thoughtfulness into his architecture. What made diamonds from coal. A hero from a boy.

"Uh," he fumbled, searching for someone else to practice on tonight, "how about- uh-"

"Them. Brat, I told you. Them." Dabi upturned his chin to the squealing runts below, waving about their glitzy toys and hero playing cards.

"No way!" one cried, unsheathing a glossy card from its sleeve, "I got Endeavour from the Fire extension pack!" the others cooed and whined in jealousy as Dabi tched and slouched, looking away at the city's skyline.

Seeing this as an opportunity, M/n slouched down beside him, but not too close.

"What's your deal with him anyways? Endeavour- you got a bone to pick with him?" M/n asked.

Now you'd expect, from his harsh demeanour, for Dabi to grab M/n by the throat and slam him against the wall- spray him with frustrated spit while yelling at him to never say that name in his presence; a name that only belonged floating down the River Styx.

Instead, and to M/n's relief, he only received a sigh and grunted answer.

"Almost every person has a bone to pick with one specific hero. When I face that bastard, he'll be a pile of ash in shiny red boots within seconds. I'll rip the egoistic ghost right out the sinews of his insides."

Dabi hauled himself up by pushing from his knees, pushing aside their training, "Get up. We're doing something else and then I'm going to get pissed at the nearest bar."

Staggering to his feet, M/n panted behind the villain stalking away: "Doing what?'

Ruffling the younger's hair in a rough manner and pushing him away, Dabi seethed, "God you're like a puppy. Shut up."

"sorry."

Sighing, Dabi hopped over the roof to the next one, cape billowing after him. He waited for the sound of M/n's landing thud to continue.

"You know how you described your quirk: Like a bell, ringing and ringing, getting hit with a hammer until it buzzes and vibrates with inconceivable heat and the potential to explode. Well,"

They dropped through a skylight into what looked like a fishing warehouse- confirmed by the small chugging boat leaving the port and stench of fish guts, "your pathetic little quirk gets stronger with any source of heat it can find, right? Your body can only give itself so much kindling.'

M/n nodded in confirmation.

"Well then, I'm sure during some miserable escapades you've soaked in a random heat source without even knowing it. Cuz you're an idiot." the boy's eye twitched, yet kept his mouth shut. "The 'spread' or whatever stupid name you gave it can reach a level only you pertain to- an outside source can direct you to a higher vantage."

Spreading his arms, Dabi soaked the building in his raging blue flames.

"You're resistant to heat!" He claimed, lazy smirk resting on his stapled lips, "But what happens if you stole more and contained it? Extract and re-use. Take away something- someone else's heat for your own advantage." A boy with a scar resting over the left side of his face flashed in Dabi's mind.

"And when you can hold no more-"

M/n's mouth was agape in a silent scream that tore his throat, rattling bones seeping in the whispers of the villain's flame, the blue colour pulsating until it dulled, and M/n vibrated at a frequency so packed full his feet left an inch off the ground, eyes rolled into the back of his head.

"you let it go. Boom." Dabi jumped behind a metal shard, a sinister grin rattling his frame, pupils shrunk as the long awaited build-up met its climax.

BOOM.

Warehouse and fish scales blown to smithereens as a white light expanded and over 2000 degrees celsius of heat warped the night air.

A fisherman going about his nightly tasks was rocked side to side in his floating tin can.

Jumping overboard, salt filled his lungs and heavy boots pulled him down. Spluttering to the surface, planks of wood ablaze floated by his teary eyes.

Two figures walked out the building that burned like a charred ribcage, laughing. The taller one clapping in amusement.

Demons. Demons from hell. They must've been.

くコ:彡

Present time- U.A sports festival

"Sho~" A scraggly voice broke Todoroki's concentration, the fire letting up as he stumbled back with wide eyes.

A few metres away, walking closer and closer to him, was a man alight with heaven's fury.

In the stands, while people cried out of fear of getting burned, Katsuki Bakugou experienced... his heart... dropping... Dropping so low, he felt... sick, hurt... afraid?

When..

When did he learn this?

Why did he learn this?

Is this-

"The spread." He whispered unknowingly at the same time as Deku, astounded by their big brother's actions.

"I've sucked this flame dry." M/n bellowed, as Cementoss sent over a wave of his quirk to bring the blazing archangel down. "And now you will see, Todoroki Shoto, you are not all you've been told you are. You can be beaten. You are better than nobody, with ice nor fire, today is not your day to win. You are not the greatest! Do you understand?"

Finally, his hand be becoming the only yellow part of his anatomy, M/n gripped Todoroki's collarbone.

"Today is not your day." M/n muttered, leaning forward into his friend's ear. Little did the audience know, this was a marvelous piece of acting.

"Thank you." a tear slipped down Todoroki's face, a smile quivering his lips, "thank you."

"It's okay, Sho." M/n whispered back, holding his false foe at arm's length, "Are you sure you'll be okay with the reprucussions? Endeavour won't hold back."

"I can handle it." a soft sob emitted from the boy, bowing his head in preparation. "Thank you, again. For understanding."

"Of course, big man. What's a big brother for, after all?"

And so the curtain falls with an ear-ringing, eye-slitting explosion, the 'fight' ended with Todoroki sent crashing out of bounds and M/n withered like a flower plucked from Persephone's garden carried into the light.

Quite softly, as if meditating, M/n crossed his legs and sat down. Now passed out, he looked like he were in a deep, soothing sleep where no-one could reach him.

Hmm me thinks M/n and Todo were playing the crowd hmmm 😏

all will be revealed in the next chapter #wap 😍🍷

Also yes this is 'the spread', we finally see what it looks like and it's nasstyy #shinebrightlikeadiamond #crispyboynationriseup #rip #wap