Inai Ni Yami ((An Original Story)) Chapter 35 part 2

((So, Takeyama is having some sort of mental break down at the moment... sorry if it seems too... I don't know, out of character? I mean, the guy lost the love of his life and is being pushed out of his own life work slowly. Desperation can change people.))

“Life” for me went on after what I’d witnessed between Yuki and Keisuke. No one acknowledged that simple moment when I’d interrupted them, and I wasn’t about to start talking about it. Best not to add anymore salt to the wounds I held in hiding. Still, every now and then when my eyes met with Yuki’s, there was a small flash of guilt, a look of pity before I turned away from her and stalked off to my only solace and my one hell: Eve’s room.

Everyday I spent more hours in their than I spent “sleeping,” and eventually my body shut itself down from the overuse. Daisuke had been seething with anger when I’d awoken, telling me that he didn’t have the supplies at the moment to keep on fixing up my problems and that I had to start leaving Eve’s body alone and try to do something useful! 

But what else was there to do but wait?

Of course, I didn’t say that directly to Daisuke who hated me now more than ever. What ever past friendships we’d held back in the day were null and void now, thanks to all the losses I’d caused. Thanks to all the pain to Eve I’d caused. Because everything, everything was my fault. Oh, oh, what a pity. 

Then there also that. All the Dorei’s looked at me with disdain now. No longer was I their great leader, the man that was to help them advance to peace and overthrow the Kurai. No, they had Sora for that now, especially that the other princess, Rikka, was missing thanks to your’s truly. Sora had become something of a missing queen to them, and technically, she was, but even so I felt like she was just using her title. Using the fact that she was alive, that she was no eternal… 

In a way, I guess you could say I was jealous of Dorei’s. Sure, they were like Kagami’s in that they were mistreated and most times it became clear that we Kagami’s had the better advantage but really, wouldn’t it be better to be a Dorei than a Kagami? Because, while both of us were eternal - at least, one of us eventually became eternal after reaching a certain age - Dorei’s were still alive. They had beating hearts and blood flowing aplenty through their warm bodies, fueled simply by food and water that they could enjoy through taste and touch. They, who had more than what either the Kurai or the Kagami could ever ask for. 

Then again, that could just be the part of me that’s Kuro speaking. 

Anyways, I tried to go back into technology when it became clear I wasn’t going to direct our little “missions” anymore, and there wouldn’t be anymore missions - save for the one that involved those little invites given to me by that generous woman - but Daisuke, once again, stumped me on that, calling me incompetent. I’d only had a small knack for technology because it had been programmed into me. After that, there was no creativity, no genius that could master his own creations. That was, in sum, Daisuke’s way of telling me that I am useless, go away and leave me alone, and why not bother someone else while you’re at it, just to pass away your time? 

So I found myself back at Eve’s side, watching her unchanging expression of passiveness as the days went by, speaking to her, saying how much things have changed now, telling her how I wished she’d just recuperate. Asking her what was wrong? Did you realize how much pain you‘ve put me through? Are you ever going to just wake up? Why couldn’t you just wake up? Why, why, why, damnit?! 

One day, Eve’s body ceased to lay in that bed, in that same room. The machines were gone. The drawers that had held her clothes and her belongings all emptied. I’d tried to find an answer, tried to reach some conclusion. Then a thought had hit. Eve could be alive! Eve could’ve woken up! I’d gone from the room to Daisuke almost immediately, knowing he’d be the first to know of her situation but when I’d tried his door, I’d found it locked to me.