ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ-ꜰɪᴠᴇ

She's joking right? Just to cover up she might have peed her pants or whatever

She's joking right? Just to cover up she might have peed her pants or whatever. Right?

Dr. Diaz said the baby is due next week, not today. I had like no time to prepare. At all.

I'm still denying her giving birth even though we're already in a hospital room and like a million nurses keep checking on Sierra, throwing some numbers around and talking gibberish.

"Dr. Diaz will check in on you in a little while," one of the nurses tells Sierra, smiling at her warmly. "You're not dilated enough, so there's no rush yet. But as it can happen pretty quickly, check ins on you will become more frequently."

Sierra nods like she understood every single word. Perhaps she did. I certainly didn't.

The nurse talks a bit more gibberish to us and then leaves the room. You see, I used to think I was smart but clearly being at a hospital proves me wrong. I have absolutely no idea what they're all talking about.

But that doesn't matter right now. "Should I call Cody and inform him about your condition?" Is there another way to even phrase this?

Sierra shakes her head. "No," she says, looking up at me through her lashes. "You can't tell anyone for another few days, please. The second people know, they'll want to show up and meet her. But I really don't want that yet."

Not sure why that is, but I can totally live with that. How couldn't I? Keeping my wife and my daughter for myself? As if I'd ever say no to that.

"Don't get me wrong, I want your family to know, and Cody of course, but just not yet. I just want a couple of days calming down and finding my strength again. Plus, I really don't want to risk her getting sick right away. Her immune system is going to be so weak, perhaps none existent still. I'm just afraid something might happen. She's not been in contact with anyones bacteria yet and—"

I press my lips to Sierra's in order to shut her up. I think she might be worrying too much about everything, but I can't say I'm not freaking out either. I fucking am.

Just when I pull away from the kiss, Sierra grabs my hand in hers and squeezes so tightly, she might actually break a few bones. But I suppose a broken hand isn't half as painful as giving birth.

She falls back in the examine chair, groaning. "That's gonna hurt like hell." Her eyes meet mine, and something about the way she looks at me tells me that Sierra has a question lingering in her mind. One she isn't voicing.

"Sierra" I push her hair back from her forehead then press a kiss to it. "Before this baby is born, I need you to understand something."

She shakes her head, her hand tightening around mine once again. This time she lets out a pain filled scream. One she tries to mute by covering her mouth with her free arm. If I could, I'd take every ounce of pain away from her. Unfortunately, that's not possible.