Blood Born- chapter 4

I eventually drifted off to sleep. It felt as though I had just shut my eyes when I heard voices. Sitting up, I looked around the room. It was empty.

I grabbed the heavy, red blanket from the bed and hurried into the hallway. Mother, Father, and Charlene stood there with Edward Norfolk and James.

"You're safe!" Charlene cried, running to me.

"I am." I wrapped my arms around her as she hugged me tightly.

"What happened last night?" I asked my parents.

Mother and father looked at each other before looking back at me.

"We were right about the Guild. They are coming after you. The three that encroached on the castle were Guild members. From how they fought they aren't very advanced. I would think only fifth or sixth-year defenders."

"Only?"

"I was a fourteenth-year defender when I went to be your father's."

"I don't think they're defenders anymore, my love," father said, holding mother's hand.

She shook her head. "No, they're more assassins now."

"We shall let you all continue on with this talk. Princess Evelyn, let's get you dressed. You cannot be amongst refined society in nothing more than a dressing shirt and blanket."

"Hold on, Charlene." I turned to look at my parents again. "So this Guild that you were in, they've turned into assassins?"

"It would seem that they are."

"How deadly are they?"

"It's not often that they lose."

"Should I be afraid, mother?"

She approached me and hugged me. "No, my precious darling. We will do everything that we can to keep you safe. This is why I have been so hard on you to train."

I hugged her back, for the first time in quite a long time. "I understand that now, mother. I love you."

"Go get dressed."

I nodded and followed Charlene.

She already poured the hot water into the tub. She dug through a small box filled with various bottles.

"I think today is a wonderful day to smell of roses."

"Whatever you say, Char."

I let the dressing shirt fall to the floor and climbed into the metal tub once again.

"Oh my, what happened to your hair?" she gasped, scrubbing furiously.

"Nothing? I mean I rode a horse through the entire English countryside and had their servant girl draw me a bath last night."

"Someone else washed your hair?"

"No, Charlene. I did it."

"You are terrible at it," she muttered.

"That's why I have you."

She muttered under her breath about my dreadful hair washing skills while combing through the roughness and adding various floral scents.

"I'll bet you didn't have goat's milk added to your bath either."

"I didn't think to ask for goat's milk in the middle of the night."

"I swear, Ellie, you would be a disaster without me."

"Yes, I would, Ellie."

"They worry for your safety," she said, massaging my head.