chapter nine

Chapter 9

Night fell with the shifting of the wolves. Unable to handle the sounds of bones breaking or crunching, Langdon took the discomfort away from the pack. Every wolf stunned by the ability. Truly did not mind that the discomfort was missing. Slowly Cherry climbed on Langdon's back, he stood up. Since Cherry was human she was told to stay back with May and June. Langdon volunteered to watch over them.

All wolves were to participate in the midnight run after the hunt. Until then they were running into the woods for the hunt. Zero on one side and Josh on the other side. They ran with their mates, Cherry screamed and tightened up her grip. What sounded like a laugh came from the wolf she was riding. Coming up to the area where Zero showed him earlier to stop. He slowed down with the girls. Zero and Josh ran ahead with the pack. All eyes stayed on them as they moved deeper into the forest. Cherry slid off to the ground.

"Thanks Langdon," He nodded towards her.

At first, the girls played around and tackled each other. Cherry stayed beside Langdon to keep out of the way. Then the girls joined them shortly.

"You guys are so pretty," Cherry cooed.

Apparently, the dark gray wolf was May, Cherry assumed. She placed a paw on the lighter gray wolf and kept her from moving. A small growl came from Langdon. The darker gray wolf nodded.

"Did I do something wrong?"

Langdon shook his head no. Pushing Cherry down to the ground and laid beside her. In the ground, he wrote out 'hunting,' it took her moment.

"Oh the wolves are hunting and I'm human."

He nodded. Josh had told her that accidents do happen. This is why she had to stay with Langdon. He was fast enough to get her out of harm’s way. Langdon was faster than they all were. Soon he felt her relax into him; a hum came from his chest. Cherry listened; soon she drifted off to sleep. Slightly moving, he cradled her against him, a safer position to keep her safe and warm.  

Off in a distance the snarls and snaps of the wolves were heard. A scream of a deer, screaming in pain as they were being tackled down. Next, a howl lit up the far distance. It was not Zero's, sounded more like Aaron. Next howl was belonged to Zero. Langdon bounced his tail in hopes that Zero out did the others. His mate was the future Alpha after all. Within moments, the third howl was heard. Time to wake Cherry up, the pack will be returning shortly. Slowly Langdon sent a shocking vibe through his body, just enough to jar her awake. Sitting up, he nudged her.

"Oh they're coming?" he nodded.

Soon the pack surrounded the pack leaders that appeared out of the woods. Close behind them were the sons and the pack. Each kill placed before the fathers, the Alpha let out a howl. Tearing the three deer’s into pieces the pack set to their own. Josh and Zero came over with a large chuck. Cherry giggled. "Wow," she sat down beside her wolf.

Secretly she watched Zero and Langdon as they demolished the deer. Langdon would only take small bites, Zero was not holding back. Normally this would be scary and gross for her, now Cherry took the time to listen and watch. Werewolves were scary, tough, massive creatures. A gentle side was never spoken about. Josh would not hurt her unless it was an accident. This is why she will hang back with Langdon until her change.

Once the deer was eaten and scraps thrown back into the woods. She witnessed several mates licking the blood off each other faces. A pang of guilt came over her. Her mate had no one to lick the blood off his face. Looking over at Josh, his tongue came out over his face. Cherry looped her arms around what she could and squeezed.

"I'll make it up to you," she whispered. "I'll be the best mate you can wish for."

Josh whimpered as he gently nudged her.