2.4

brown nails

She rolled her eyes. Why wouldn't he just leave her alone already? Why was he stubborn and annoying all the time?

She wiped her eyes thanking the heavens for not wearing any makeup, her eyes fell to the windows, the blinds still open, she saw the sun coming up, it was almost five in the morning. Ignoring the sound of JJ's knocking, she moved towards the balcony. 

She pulled the french windows open stepping outside, the cool morning air, warm and spring-like, the morning breeze magnetising as she watched the sunrise. JJ is long forgotten at the door. 

Her mind wandered back to that night's dream, a fresh stream of tears flowing down her face. 

"I'm sorry." 

There was his voice again.

"I'm sorry." He whispered breaking her out of her trance. She turned around to see JJ standing on the balcony next to hers.

"No, it's my fault, I shouldn't have acted like that." She apologises, glancing at the red hand-print that had appeared on bis cheek.

"Did you by any chance take self-defence classes?" He chuckled.

She shrugged, "yeah, boxing. I used to have a coach called Viddal. I think he went into professional competing though. Haven't heard of him since high school."

His mouth hung open for a minute before he turned to her, his eyes lighting up in recognition. "Viddal Riley?"

She thought for a minute, before nodding, "yeah, he used to be my coach."

"He's my coach now!" His eyes lit up happily. "I'm going to meet him in a few hours."

"I'm happy he finally got out of that horrible school." She smiled, everyone had a happily ever after, yet hers never seemed to come.

The quiet silence shared between them was short-lived as JJ turned around to face Hoda, contemplating whether or not he should give in to his curiosity.

"What happened... you know... on the couch?" 

She took a deep breath, deciding that she'd eventually have to tell him, "it brought back memories of me and an ex. Before I reverted to Islam, I used to have a boyfriend and things ended after I converted."

"Oh, im sorry," he apologised again.

"Don't be." She shook her head, willing the memory to disappear from her head. It hurt her knowing that whilst she and her then-boyfriend were getting together on the dance floor he would end up taking another bitch home for the night, "do you want to come over?"

He shrugged, "it's almost morning, Viddal's coming to pick me up so we can go to the gym together."

"Alright then, take care, ill catch you later."

~~~

The next three days went by without seeing each other, until the night before the meeting.

Hoda was finishing her night routine with her hijab fitted loosely around her head as she talked to Chase about tomorrows meeting with JJ and his management.

"What is there for me to do?"

"You but him off of them."

"He's not a piece of meat!"

"I didn't say he was, but be honest in the long run it'll be doing him better than he'll realise." Chase rolled his eyes as he sat on her bed with her nail polish collection trying to pick out what colour he should do his nails.

"I need a price though." She considered thinking about the figures shell be willing to set in the table to gain his freedom.

"I say six figures, go up into seven figures but if they don't settle for it then leave it." He said, "Now what colour? Brown or beige?"

"Whatever." She rolled her eyes in the mirror trying to get micellar water onto the cotton pad in her hand, "I saw this really cute beige design on my feed, I think I saved it."

"Why the fuck do you have so many shades of brown saved onto your phone, are you planning on redecorating?"

"Yeah." She lied. Clenching her jaw she thought about why she had so many shades of brown saved on her phone.

Because her mind like her camera roll was consumed with thoughts of JJ, his golden eyes and pigmented melanin skin.

"Oh my god, you should do the brown ones! They look so nice!" He commented at the gee images of nails on her phone.

"You idiot you know I can't paint my nails, I have to pray."

"Oh right, of course." He chuckled, "more for me."

After their little gossip session, Chase begrudgingly made his way into his own suite as Hoda guided him out, on her way to get herself a bottle of water from the vending machine from the end of the corridor.

And of course, there is not a single time when she a JJ don't bump into each other.

"Hey, golden eyes." She greeted him with a smile as she felt his presence behind her. Staring at her body.

"Are you always psychic?"

"Occasionally." She shrugged taking the water bottle from the dispenser as she turned around to face him.

"We have a meeting tomorrow." He declared his arm resting on the vending machine, trapping her between himself and the machine.

"We do." She confirmed with a sharp nod.

"Im hungry, fancy a meal?" He offered, his voice low, hungry.

"It's almost eleven." She checked the time on her wrist as she pretended not to feel his hot breath fanning over her. She wasn't going to give in to whatever it was hinting at.

"It does seem to be eleven, but miss businesswoman, is your life so boring that you don't have time for dinner?"

She smiled up at him, "oh darling, im busy making millions."

And JJ felt his heart skip a beat and his stomach do summersaults. The way her eyelashes fluttered framed her perfectly coloured emerald green eyes. She truly was a diamond in the rough.

"In-between these millions that you're making, would you have time for a dinner?"

"If it's with you. I can make exceptions." She mused, her finger tapping his nose once, as she would do to a child. And moved away, sliding away from under his arm.

"So it's a date."

Written: 08/12/2021

Published: 08/12/2021

(A/N: I cant wait to see what some of y'all new year resolutions are going to be hehe)