Training Room

“What is it, wolf?” Siya stood up, feet stanced and ready to attack. Her heartbeat quickened. Why am I prepared for a fight?

                He was her wolf after all, his alliance should be to her.

                I can’t know that yet; he hasn’t proven it.

                Jate brushed past the alpha and replaced her spot on the padded bench. Siya turned her body to allow her eyes to be trained on the wolf.

                “Still warm.” He commented.

                “Answer me, Lambda.”

                “Jate”

                Siya grimaced in irritation. She would call him whatever she placed. “Are you refusing a direct order from your alpha?”

                Jate shook his head and leaned back on the bench until he was parallel with the floor. “No, I am not. I came in here because I needed to speak with you, and I knew Mia had disappeared.”

                Mia must have been the name of the wolf she had been speaking with for hours. Siya ran a hand through her hair, shaking it out and watched as Jate curled his fingers around the metal bar.

                “What did you want to speak with me about?”

                “Eio.”

                Siya tensed. “What about Eio?”

                “Leave him be—he shouldn’t be a Warrior.” Jate’s fingers whitened as his grip on the bar grew tighter with his words. It was clear to Siya that Jate must have had a personal reason behind refusing Eio an opportunity to join the prestigious Warriors. “Add weight.”

                Siya wasn’t sure what compelled her to listen to him, but she found herself picking up a forty pound weight and sliding it onto the metal bar alongside the others. She repeated the action to the other side and waited for Jate to lift, but he repeated his command.

                And Siya obeyed.

                “Are you sure you want me to add more?” She asked, after a fourth time of this. She counted nearly 400lbs on the bar at this point.

                Jate nodded, and she added the last that she could fit on. Siya stood across with her arms crossed, and eyes trained on him

                “Are you going to lift or just stare at the bar?” She joked

                Jate chuckled and flexed his fingers around the bar. “Spot me, Alpha?”

                She stepped around toward Jate’s head. His grey eyes watched her as she gently rested her hands underneath the bar outside of his. Jate nodded and Siya braced herself, following the bar as he lifted it off the rack and lowered it to his body.

                Jate lifted once, twice, and third time before his grip slipped.

                Shit.

                Siya’s hands curled around the bar milliseconds later, catching it before it fell onto the wolf underneath.

The weight was noticeable, and would’ve done some significant damage to Jate’s chest. She lifted the bar and slipped it onto its rack, before glancing down at Jate.