13: Survive

Annaliese
⚠️violence⚠️

I stare at my buzzing phone on the floor of the car, wishing I could reach down and be reassured by my brothers

I stare at my buzzing phone on the floor of the car, wishing I could reach down and be reassured by my brothers. However I know I have no right to feel this way. I deserve this. I asked for this. I knew there was something suspicious about this car, yet I got into it anyway. A part of me knew it wasn't safe, but it was like that's what drew me in.

What a twisted little girl I am.

"Staring at your phone won't make it come to you," The man patronizes me, the corner of his chapped lips twitching up into a wicked smirk. "If you're a good girl then maybe I'll let you have one last call before I kill you."

Oh, killing. Lovely.

I watch outside the window in a dazed state. We stood outside a Burger King at the moment. I've never even been to Burger King. Is it any good? Would I ever know? I don't have much time to think about it before the car's moving again and the buildings blur once more.

I'm pathetic. I can't even fight back. I'm not saying anything or doing anything. I'm just sitting here, looking out the window, daydreaming. Marcello would've quietly gotten himself out of this, with his super awesome observation skills. Valentino would've talked the guys' ear off until he was given back from annoyance. Luca would've been able to disassemble the bomb and force the man to bring him home. Fransesco would've beat the man before he could even press the button. And Allessandro? He wouldn't even need to do anything. One look at him and the man would be on his knees.

I'm not powerful. I'm not strong. I'm not them.

A bitter chuckle passes by my lips as I find the single mother and son from a while back. He was wearing the mittens I had given him and she looked healthier than she had a couple months ago. My eyes burn as I watch them walk into a cheap looking apartment building.

They made it.

They made it.

"What're you laughin' at?" The man asks in amusement. He turns once more onto a more deserted street, strange for New York City. The cars lessen, the buildings become smaller and more seperated, less people are walking the streets. Disappointment stabs at my chest.

For a moment, I forgot why I've been trying so hard in the first place. Not to use fancy gadgets, wear designer clothes or live lavishly. I'm here to help them; the people who've been given the cold shoulder by the world and are barely scraping by. Out the corner of my eye, I notice a plain plot of land coming up ahead.

I'm about to do something super dangerous. Will my brothers be mad? Yeah, probably. I have a feeling that's going to be an effect of this situation either way.

Gathering my wits, I swallow harshly. Now or never. As soon as the whole length of the car is in line with the lot, I grab ahold of the steering wheel and jerk us onto the empty land.