xxv. lost daughter

xxv. lost daughter

*    *    *

THEA KNOWS EVERYONE WILL LEAVE, BUT IT STILL HURTS WHEN THEY ALL START TO GET READY TO GO. Charlie is going back home, like most, Tyson is going to the Cyclopes Forges, and Grover is continuing his quest for Pan. Tommy leaves, too, and they promise to IM as much as they can.

But still. Why does Thea have to be one of the few that stays? Staying during the year blows, especially when she doesn't quite have a cabin to call her own.

She sleeps late the day everyone is set to leave, trying to get a good rest. Every few hours she wakes up in a cold sweat, each time to the same dream. The man, in the depths, grabbing ahold of her. Except for this time, he doesn't grab her by her feet, he grabs her by her hair and turns her back so she can see his murky eyes. Each time, the horror is just as real as the time before.

The final time she wakes up it's to Conner shaking her, and she turns over to push him away. "I know, I know. I won't scream again, lemme sleep some more."

Conner rips the blanket off and she groans, curling up. "Thea, it's Annabeth."

She's up in an instant, so fast she gets a headrush and stumbles until Conner catches her. "What's wrong? Is she hurt? Did she leave early? Was it L—"

"She's fine, but—I don't know how to say this. You just—you gotta see for yourself. She's on the hill."

Thea's heart is in her throat, thudding painfully, and she doesn't bother to put on shoes, running barefoot across the lawn in her pajamas without so much as a sword. Her mind is only thinking Annabeth Annabeth Annabeth, and if it means she has to take on a monster with her bare hands, she will.

When she arrives there is a crowd surrounding the tree. Her mind goes to the worst and she starts to shove her way through, threatening and elbowing until she manages to stumble to the front. Her feet are wet and muddy, and she's out of breath, but she catches sight of Annabeth. She's fine, thank the gods, kneeling beside a girl—

Thea feels her stomach fall to her feet.

The girl has electric blue eyes, as startling as lightning.

Only one type of person has those, and if Thea knows anything, she knows it's no coincidence.

A/N:
short & sweet! works better this way.
i'll publish here when the next book is
published, aka book 2! wild heart is complete,
but thea's story is nowhere near done