Chapter 59

"So, are you moving with your mother or are you getting your own place?" Marlene put another book in a box.

I sighed and sat down on my desk, the box next to me forgotten. "I've thought about it for a long time... It's a hard decision, but I have to remember that I'm almost nineteen years old. And I've got a job. It's time for me to move out, and now that I've got to move, I might as well do it. I only feel bad because my mother will be all alone... But I'll visit her as often as possible."

Marlene nodded. "I'd have done it that way, too. Doesn't make sense to move in with your mum now, only to move out again, like, two months later. I'm sure she understands."

"I know she does." I nodded. I'd talked about it with her, and we'd both agreed that this was the best solution. Still, it hurt me to see another chapter of my life come to an end. But I tried to keep Francisca's words at heart: Who said that the new chapters will be bad? They'll be even better.

I cleared my throat and hopped onto my feet again, putting another sweater into my cardboard box. "Now I've gotta look for a new apartment. I can't stay with you and Sirius forever."

I said it in a joking tone, but I really couldn't. Physically couldn't. Although I really wanted them to be happy, and even though I didn't begrudge their relationship anymore.... That didn't make seeing them together any less painful.

It was better if I moved out soon, for all of us.

"You're always welcome," Marlene insisted. "Take your time."

I nodded. "And you know what? With that new apartment, I'm gonna get an owl."

Marlene began to grin. "Yess! Finally! Especially with your Patronus, you need one. You've wanted one for ages, what's stopped you for so long!?"

I shrugged, smiling down at the blue sweater in my hands. I remembered dragging Mum through half of London, just because I'd wanted a blue sweater as close to how I'd imagined it in my mind as possible. I'd been thirteen and wanted to live my royal blue Ravenclaw phase.
"Don't know, actually. I think I've just been way too busy with the order and stuff, I couldn't really set my mind on what owl I'd get."

"I'll go with you!" She immediately offered. "I can help you choose an owl, and we can pick its name together! Also, I'll help you look for an apartment, it's gotta be the best, but don't let them realtors fool you!"

I laughed at Marlene's enthusiasm. I was totally seeing her screaming at realtors for having too high prices. "Thanks Marls, you're the best."

She only grinned and put another book in her box. Then she took another one, saw the title and begann to flick through the pages. "Why've you got so many books on werewolves!? The ones for school and at least two extra ones?"

I didn't know whether Marlene knew about Remus, so I shrugged, feeling a little trapped. Noone knew that I knew, and I didn't know if they wanted me to know. "No reason. They're interesting and I like to read."

"Nerd," she said, closed the book, put it away and then closed the cardboard box. "The fact that it took me yesterday and the start of today to pack up all of your books speaks volumes."

I chuckled quietly when Marlene stood up and got another box. Then she walked towards me and cleared out the other half of my cupboard, where just random stuff was piled up.

"What's that?"

I followed her eyes and grinned when I recognised the little parcel. "That's James' gift for my seventeenth. He said that he knew I probably wouldn't use it, but he thought I should be prepared for everything."

"He was so right!" Marlene said and turned around to stare at me in disbelief. "Why haven't you told me about this treasure sooner?"

I furrowed my eyebrows at her reaction, beyond confused. "Sorry?"

"James knew what he was doing! He gave you the best stuff, oh my Merlin! Itching powder, swelling toffees,..." She laughed when she lifted the next phial. "Magical farts!! I didn't even know that existed!"

Her laughter made me smile, but I was still very confused at my best friends behaviour. "Since when are you an expert on pranks?"

Marlene stopped rummaging and raised her eyebrows at me. "Please, you're talking to Sirius Black's girlfriend. And I've been friends with all the marauders for almost eight years. I've known James even longer- of course I'm familiar with pranks!"

"Right."

"You can so use this!" a diabolical glint appeared in Marlene's eyes.

"What do you mean?" She was really confusing me right now.

Marlene looked at me incredulously. "C'mon Freya, you're smarter than this! Who deserves some pranks?"

I think one could read in my face how clueless I was. "My father is dead," I said matter of factly.

Marlene almost dropped the parcel. "Are you really too nice or just stupid?"

I raised my shoulders, still not getting what she wanted from me. "What!?"

"Lina!" Marlene almost screamed at me. "She's been bullying you non-stop, ever since we graduated! You've done nothing to deserve this! So if anyone deserves to get their arse pranked, it's that bitch!"

I blinked, not believing how slow my brain had been. "Oooh."

"Yes, 'ooh'." Marlene huffed. "As soon as we're done with packing for today, we'll make a plan."

I bit the inside of my cheek. "Is that really necessary, though? I mean... That would be really mean."

Marlene looked as if she wanted to punch me. "Freya!" She sighed passive aggressively and put the parcel down, grabbing my shoulders instead and shaking me a little for emphasis. "Stop being so nice for once! She's mean to you, don't twist the roles! She deserves it and you've gotta stand up for yourself! We're so doing this!"

My eyes widened at Marlene's stubbornness, and I nodded. I didn't feel comfortable, but I knew that I couldn't talk her out of it. "Okay."

Marlene let go of me and smiled, satisfied with my agreement. "Alright, that's settled. Now let's continue packing up, and then we can get to the fun part. Got a lot to do this evening. Apartments don't pick themselves and pranks won't plan themselves."
She laughed diabolically and ruffled my hair.
For once, it wasn't in one of my traidmark braids, so she completely messed it up.

"This is gonna be so great."

Remember the history studying I told you I'd have to do? Yeah. I bullied all of that into my head yesterday, only to just have to recite the years 1946 to 1948 - _-

FOR ONE COUNTRY!!! I STUDIED BOTH FROM 1945 TO 1949!! NOTHING HAPPENED IN 1946, I'M SO CONFUSED BECAUSE I COULDN'T WRITE ANYTHING IMPORTANT DOWN