Chapter 1: A Long Day.

Chapter 1: 'A Long Day' focuses on how Carina DeLuca and Maya Bishop met.

Carina POV:

'What a day' I think to myself as I'm getting changed, out of my scrubs and into something a little more appropriate to wear to Joe's. I have never been so excited to head to the bar across the street and drink a glass of red wine. It is time to unwind after one of the longest shifts of my life, as an OB I don't often see much trauma but today changed that.

Maya POV:

"Wow am I glad that is over." Andy says to me as we climb out of the engine, I couldn't agree with her more. The beginning of the shift was slow, while the team got on with their chores, I finished up some paperwork that needed to be completed, I was widely grateful for the slow shift and the time to do this. But, that soon changed when the alarm sounded;

Engine 19

Aid Car 19

Structure Fire

The brief I received after the alarm sounded told me that we would be heading to a high rise block of apartments that homed lots of families with struggling, single parents. I warned the team that there would likely be lots of injured children and overly worried parents. I didn't really know what to expect but I know my team well, and they are all wonderfully talented firefighters, they will be fine.

As expected, my team were flawless, got everyone out and themselves safely, got the fire out as quick as they could and consoled all the worried parents to the best of their ability. However, one woman, I suspect 7 or 8 months pregnant, with her third child was in much worse condition than all our other civilians, this is likely because not only was she heavily pregnant, she appeared to be malnourished, I assume so that she can feed her children sufficiently. The woman is struggling to breathe due to smoke inhalation, she is in and out of consciousness and when she is conscious she panics about her other children, who are fine, just worried about their mom.

After assessing the pregnant woman, whose name we found to be Laura, Andy and I managed to lower her blood pressure and get her on route to Grey-Sloan. When we arrived at Grey-Sloan we were greeted by Dr Grey, Dr Schmitt and another Doctor who I didn't recognise but must have been an OB given her pink scrubs. I told Laura's two older children that she would be fine but worried about the woman and the health of her baby, honestly, I was unsure whether she would make it.

"I need a drink, I'm off to Joe's, you coming?" I say to Andy as she enters my office after me.

"Not tonight, Cap. I am exhausted, I'm going to crash as soon as I get home so I am ready for another fun-filled shift tomorrow!" she replies, hand on her head clearly nursing a headache.

"Ahh, okay. Get some rest, you evidently need it. See you tomorrow!" I say with sympathy.

"Thank you, Maya. Have a drink for me." She says walking out, slowly.

Carina POV:

"Glass of red?" I hear the bartender ask as I pull out a stool by the bar.

"That would be perfect, thank you." I reply, finally sitting and resting my feet with relief.

I sit staring, in a world of my own. In disbelief of the shift I just worked, that was probably my most chaotic shift ever.

I am relaying the events of my shift to the bartender while he cleans up behind the bar, when I am interrupted:

"Sorry, did you just say you delivered a baby who was 11 weeks premature today?" A blonde woman asks.

"Si, the woman was in a fire earlier today and I had to deliver emergently for the safety of the bambina and mama, why do you ask?" I reply with caution.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to pry, it's just...well, I'm a firefighter and I saved that woman, Laura and her children. I was so worried neither Laura nor her baby would make it." The woman replied, slightly emotional.

"Hey, hey, it's okay. She survived and her baby, for a premiee is very strong and I believe she will survive too, she's a fighter." I say, in an attempt to console the emotional woman now sitting on the stool beside me.

"She? Laura had a girl? Her two older boys kept telling me their mother always wanted a baby girl! Ah, that makes me so happy. I have been so worried about all of them, thank you for letting me know... I will let you get back to your drink now."

Maya POV:

As I go to move back to the other side of the bar, I feel something on my hand. It is the OB's hand, warm and comforting on top of mine.

"Stay" she says, simply with a smile. "It is nice to have someone to talk to about patients and I am glad I could ease your mind a little."

I smile and sit back down, ordering another beer and a glass of red for the Doctor...

"I'm sorry, I haven't yet asked for your name. I am Maya Bishop, Captain of Station 19...and you are?"

Author's Note...

Heyy! If you're seeing this, THANK YOU for reading and for reading this far...I have never written anything before so I am very grateful you read it this far and hopefully you enjoyed it!

PS i have a merch page on Instagram and Etsy; LongLiveGifts - I sell all things station 19, Taylor Swift and Harry Styles, DM me on Instagram or Find us on Etsy! Things will be cheaper on Instagram because no fees!

Please, give me any feedback or chapter prompts..

Twitter: FayeSpampi

Have a lovely day! <3