Caught

Chapter 3 :

Harry's soft snores echoed in my ear. His face was nestled in my neck, breathing deeply. He was finally asleep. I slowly opened my eyes, taking in my surroundings.

A laundry basket full of clothes sits on the floor near the closet. On the nightstand was an alarm clock with the wrong time. I took in the pale blue walls of Harry's bedroom, the ceiling full of glow in the dark stars. His sheets smelled like him. Cologne and alcohol.

Fatigue washed over me, my body begging me to sleep, but I refused. I had a job to do. My body was curled into a ball, Harry's arm wrapped securely around my waist, the other tucked under my pillow. His bed was king size topped with a comforter that needed to be replaced. My eyes followed the web of rips and tears in the fabric.

I craned my neck to look at the other side of his bedroom but froze when his snoring ceased. I didn't move, waiting for him to fall back into his dreams. His arm released me as he turned over, moving to the other side of the bed. I was left alone now, free to move. I let out a breath, easing myself up into a sitting position.

I look down at the man next to me. His curls stuck up in different places, his chest would rise and fall slowly, taking in deep breaths. His fingers would grasp the air before releasing when he felt nothing there. I wondered if he dreamed about her. His ex. I wondered why she left him.

Reaching towards the hem of my dress, I folded it over, revealing the inside. I felt along the fabric until my fingers met with the slight tear I was looking for. I made a quick rip in the dress, revealing my weapon. I gripped it in my hand, rising up from the bed. The blade reflected the moonlight shining in through the curtains. I looked to my left and jumped slightly, holding the knife up in defense.

My arms dropped to my sides at the sight of my own reflection. A full body mirror hung on the wall in front of me. I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear before heading towards the door. I turned the handle, pulling it open and slipping into the hallway. I unlocked the front door, making the escape easier once the deed was done.

I returned to Harry's bedroom and saw him moving. His hand felt around on the side of the bed I had been laying on. I kept my place in the doorway, watching. He made a final attempt to find what he was looking for when he shot out of bed. I jumped back, surprised. I cautiously slid the knife into my dress, trying to remain unnoticed.

"Kelsey!" His voice yelled, full of fear and panic. "Where are you?" He spun on his feet, stopping once he saw me in the door way.

"Kelsey," he crossed the room to me, pulling me into him. "I had the worst nightmare."

My fingers came up to the back of his head, twisting a curl around my pointer finger. "What was it about?"

Harry's muscles tensed, his arms holding me tighter. "You can trust me." After the words left my lips, I regretted it. He could never trust me.

"Her." It was just below a whisper but I knew who he was talking about.

"Tell me about her." I said, demanding. Harry let go of me and returned to the bed. He sat with his back against the headboard, a pillow against his chest.

"She was my everything," I kept my place in the doorway. "She IS my everything. I don't know what hurts worse. Knowing I drove her away, or being alone." His eyes were focused on the wall to his right, avoiding me.

"What did she look like?" I prodded at him, genuinely curious.

"She was beautiful. She wore extensions because no matter what I said, she kept her hair short." Harry's lips turned up slightly, forming a smile.

"She had grey eyes that changed color everyday. I lost track of how many times I just stared into them trying to figure out their real color. She claimed they were grey so I believed her," his smile kept growing as he reminisced in what used to be.

"Harry, what was her name?" The smile fell from his face once I asked but I couldn't take it back now.

"Lexxi." he spoke sadly. The name rolled off his tongue as if he had been saying it his whole life. He lifted his gaze, focusing on me. "Come here."

It took me some time to realize he had said anything. I moved slowly back to the opposite side of the bed. He laughed lightly, "I said here not over there."

I smiled at him before sitting on the bed. "Will you stay?" He was looking down at the bed and I remembered I hadn't been next to him when he woke up. And he panicked.

My hesitation made him look up at me. "I don't know, Harry. I think you need to think and-"

"Please stay." His words were sharp, cutting me just like the knife resting against my breast. I thought of the possibilities in front of me. I could easily leave him right now, get out before he becomes too attached. Or I could stay and figure out a way to make a move while he sleeps again.

Light yellow rays from the sunrise seeped in through the curtains, illuminating Harry's face. I traced the contour of him with my eyes. He slowly reached a hand out, stopping in the middle of both of us. This was the moment. I can still get out. I could still get out. My conscience screamed at me to run. To get away.

My hand met his in the middle, locking our fingers together.

...............................................

Not very good, sorry. Leave some feedback! Comment! Vote! Thank you:)