Chapter 22: Calling

Zacznij od początku

The next day, Liana's at the Talon  doing invitations for Lex and Helen's wedding and Chloe walks up to her and says, "Hi..." Liana says, "Chloe." Chloe says, "The one name you won't find on the list for Smallville's biggest event of the century. Don't worry, it's not like I'm holding out for my fairy godmother to bring me glass slippers." Liana laughs and says, "It's okay, I'm still not convinced Lex won't have me in a headset running around with ice buckets." Chloe says, "Is this what you were doing until 2 o'clock in the morning last night?" Liana says, "Yeah." Chloe says, "Well, look, uh... I can't vouch for my calligraphy skills but if you need any help, just let me know." Liana hands Chloe coffee and Clark comes over and says, "Hey, guys. I'd like a double expresso, please." Liana gives a tight lipped smile and turns around to make his expresso. Chloe says, "Whoa! Were you burning the midnight oil last night too?" Clark looks at Liana and says, "I was just... working on a toast for Lex's dinner." Chloe says, "Oh!" Pete then comes over and says, "Chloe, ready to go?" Pete waves to Liana and she smiles back at him. Pete looks around his friends and says, "Everybody okay?" Clark says, "Yeah." Chloe says, "Great." Liana says, "Perfect." Pete says, "Just checking." Chloe says, "Right. Well... we better get going. I have ashes to sweep and wicked stepsisters to undermine." Liana hands Clark his drink and he says, "You didn't?" Liana says, "No." Clark says, "I had a really good time last night. I was thinking maybe we could go out after the rehearsal dinner tonight." Liana says, "Maybe." Liana walks around the table and goes to the invitations table and Clark says, "Liana, is everything okay?" Clark says, "If this is about last night, we can take it slow." Liana says, "Clark, I think last night may have been a mistake. I'm really busy. I-I'll call you later?" Later, Liana rides her horse and then she sees Clark. Clark says, "Hey." Liana says, "Hi." Liana gets off her horse and grabs the leash of her horse and says, "Come on." Clark says, "Look, Liana, last night was a big deal for me." Liana says, "Clark." Clark says, "Look... you don't have to avoid calling me if you don't feel the same way." Liana says, "No, it meant a lot to me too. Everything seemed so clear, but today it feels a lot more complicated." Clark says, "Is this about Chloe?" Liana says, "I-I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about her but... there are three friendships at stake here and I don't wanna risk losing ours." Clark says, "Well, the friendship isn't gonna go anywhere. It'll just become something better." Liana says, "And what happens down the road if... things don't work out? Will our friendship survive that?" Clark says, "I don't know. Liana, I've wanted this for so long I think it's worth taking the chance." Clark then looks off into the distance and Liana says, "Clark? Are you alright? Clark, what is it?" Clark says, "I'm sorry, I have to go." Later at the Talon, Liana sees Helen and says, "Hey, Helen. Are you planning a rehearsal dinner or a peace summit?" Helen says, "This whole wedding is starting to feel as political. It's hard to know what side everybody's on." Liana sits in front of Helen and says, "You're not having second thoughts, are you?" Helen says, "Sorry, I... it's all gotten very complicated." Liana says, "Sounds kind of familiar." Helen says, "You wouldn't be talking about a tall, dark handsome best man, would you?"  Liana says, "If you knew that Lex was keeping secrets from you... but he was being truthful about the important things like um... like the way he feels about you. Would that be enough?" Helen says, "I guess you have to decide. Is... the part of themselves that they're willing to share with you better than not having them in your life at all?"

 the part of themselves that they're willing to share with you better than not having them in your life at all?"

Later at the rehearsal dinner, Clark stands up and says, "Can I have everyone's attention, please? I think Lex picked me to be his best man because he knew how

Later at the rehearsal dinner, Clark stands up and says, "Can I have everyone's attention, please? I think Lex picked me to be his best man because he knew how... comfortable I was speaking in front of people." Everyone laughs and he continues, "I've been looking through every book from Socrates to Shakespeare... trying to find someone who can put into words the way... Lex and Helen feel about each other. But what I realized it there are no words for it. And when you have it, you trust it. And you believe in it. Take a chance on it. You're willing to sacrifice anything to keep it. No matter what the cost. To Helen and Lex." Everyone says, "To Helen and Lex. Cheers." Clark then groans and Lex says, "Clark, are you alright?" Clark says, "Yeah, I, uh... I just need to get some air." Clark leaves and Liana's worried about Clark. Later, Liana goes to Clark's loft. Clark says, "I never got a chance to say how beautiful you looked tonight." Liana jumps startle and turns around to see Clark and says, "Clark, you scared me." Clark says, "Surprised me." Liana says, "I just wanted to see you. Kind of ran out on dinner. I thought your toast was really beautiful." Clark walks up to Liana and says, "I had a lot of inspiration." Liana says, "I'm sorry I've been so confused about us. It's just... I'm scared." Clark says, "So am I." Liana says, "We both have secrets in our lives that we're not ready to share and I understand that." Clark says, "Yeah. I just don't want my feelings for you to be one of them." Liana says, "Neither do I." Clark leans down to kiss Liana and she kisses him back. After they kiss for a bit, they walk down the stairs holding hands. Liana puts her hand onto Clark's face and admires him. They both smile at each other. Liana and Clark let go of their hands and Liana gives Clark one last smile and she walks away with a big smile on her face.