Chapter 29- Like Father, Like Son

Ranboo froze.
"I- I don't know-" he started, but he was interrupted.
"You should know! It should be obvious! Me!" Tubbo said desperately, a hint of anger in his tremulous, unsure voice.
"Uh... I don't know, Tubbo... It feels like we're the bad guys..."
"No! Obviously not! We're standing up for ourselves, that's all. Don't let those monsters"- he cast a hateful glance at Tommy and also Phil, who was still hovering in the air and watching the drama unfold- "get in your head. We're the good guys. They're the bad guys."
"No!" Tommy argued. "Don't you see, Ranboo? He's attacking me for being forced to do one thing. How fucking petty is that?! Are you really going to be on his side?"
Ranboo gulped. "I-"
"No! He's the bad guy!" Tubbo interrupted, obviously desperate at this point. He was losing his audience, and knew it.
Ranboo held a palm up as a sign to say "I wasn't done talking".
"I don't know... Tubbo, I feel like you're the safest bet- but I really don't know who to side with. I mean... Are we the bad guys?"
Tubbo sighed and threw his hands in the air in anger.

"Who cares! What if we're the bad guys? You know what? Let's be the bad guys!" Tubbo shouted.

There was a silence so quiet yet so loud for a minute.
Tubbo stood there, watching Ranboo's reaction.

"H-how could you-" Ranboo spluttered, "how could you say- such- such a thing?! I don't want to be with you if you're going to be a villain!"

Tubbo inwardly screamed, knowing he'd definitely done the wrong thing. In his head, it had sounded so good, he had been so sure that the other man would agree...
He couldn't bear it any more.
Why'd he even want Ranboo back? He could make more friends! They'd last even longer since he was immortal. The lengths he'd been going to for the man who couldn't even choose between him and a worse option were too massive. Ranboo had to have earned Tubbo's toil- all his work he'd done for him- and he hadn't.
"Fuck this!" Tubbo cried, running back into the forest. "Fuck you all! Don't even come near me again. Ever!"
Tears stung at his eyes as he rushed through the forest, looking nowhere but at his own feet and at the dry leaves that littered the coarse dirt.
Once he stopped ten minutes later, he immediately regretted what he'd done.

He'd just left his best friend of fifteen years.
Fifteen years.
Gone.
Just because Ranboo couldn't choose.
Tubbo felt sick to his stomach. How dumb he'd been!
He knew nobody would take him back.

Maybe this was a sign.

Yeah! A sign from God. If there is one.
He was just being told "Leave your friends alone, be free, do what you want for once" and he hadn't realised.
That's right- he was free! He didn't have to consult anyone to do anything- he could just do it.
Feeling lighter than he'd ever been, he ambled across the forest at his own pace. He wasn't in any rush to do anything. He didn't have to be anywhere. He didn't have anyone to cater to and care for. He could just walk.
Tubbo felt euphoric at this newfound knowledge, and continued on.

He continued on in the forest for about half an hour and found an opening that revealed a small cobblestone path to what must be a village of some sort.
By now it was dusk and the sky was rapidly getting darker and greyer- better for Tubbo. He preferred it that way.
A few minutes of walking later, he began to see the silhouettes of some buildings. Getting closer, he saw it was definitely a village- an old fashioned one at that.
There seemed to be no inns there- not like he'd trust staying in any inns after what happened last time he and Ranboo stayed in one- so he decided to stay up and, instead of sleeping, he would hunt.

Lurking in a damp, dirty alleyway (why was it always the alleyways?) he waited for somebody to come past so he could kill them.
About ten minutes later, a man with brown hair and for some reason had mutton chops walked past.
Tubbo grinned.
He launched himself at the man, his smaller than average frame trying to wrestle him down. They struggled for a few seconds until the other man fell down on the ground and Tubbo took the opportunity to force his head to the side, exposing his neck.
What surprised him the most was the fact that there were already two bite marks on his neck.