CHAPTER FORTY-THREE

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Game Over
chapter forty three

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    CARL WAS RUTHLESS. No kid stood a chance against the Gallagher boy. He played hard, fought dirty, and had no qualms about the consequences. Phoebe held one of the pillow cases Fiona had decorated for the game, sitting at the edge of her seat, completely entranced with the game before her. There was something about kids hurting one another that made her laugh. "Let's go, Carl!" she shouted as the referee blew his whistle. The opposing side had been tackled. The Gallaghers all sat in one place on the bleachers. They had an ice chest and were selling water (and beer) for a pretty good price. "Hey, Fi," Phoebe shouted over the cheers, taking the seat beside Fiona once she had sat down. The older girl glanced toward Phoebe with a smile before focusing back on the game.

          "I gotta ask you something serious." This had the brunette turning back to the younger girl, the smile on her face shrinking away slowly. "Go ahead," she said, brows pinched. Ever since kicking Lip out, Phoebe's had a lot to think about. The one person she truly wanted to be there wouldn't be there anymore, and now she had absolutely no one to help her out with wedding planning. Fiona nudged the quiet girl, worry washing over her features. "Everything's okay!" the girl quickly stated, eyes wide and hands waving in front of her. "It's not, like, life or death. But I was wondering... you know, if you'd be down to take the position as my maid of honor?" Fiona looked flabbergasted. "What about Lip?" The mention of the Gallagher boy made Phoebe visibly grimace. "He bailed. Said he didn't care, and some other stupid shit. I may have uninvited him."

          Fiona shook her head. The cool breeze tangled within her curly hair. It left their skin tinged pink underneath the green paint Monica had persisted they should wear to show their team spirit. "I don't know," she sighed. "I can't do this on my own, Fi. I tried and I failed my freaking chemistry test because I was too busy memorizing flower names." She peered over at the other girl with hope. She knew Fiona wasn't as skilled with this. Veronica's wedding was held at the Alibi, and they barely did anything to prepare, but she trusted her. "It doesn't have to be big or anything. We're holding it at the men's club, and there's only gonna be a few people. I'm not asking you to plan this huge, fairytale wedding." Fiona snapped her head toward the younger girl with a slight smile. "Okay," she interrupted the small rant, stopping the girl mid sentence. "I'll do it. How hard can it be, right?"

          "Really?" The genuine relief that washed over Phoebe felt like she had been pushed inside a giant bubble and was floating off of the ground. She threw her arms around Fiona suddenly, her arms squeezing tight. "Oh-kay," Fiona laughed, patting the girl's back. A whistle blowing tore the two from their moment and they were back on their feet, trying to figure out what had just happened. She could hardly spot Carl on the field. Phoebe's hand tightened around the pillowcase as she squinted toward the field, trying to spot the number on the boy's back. "Shit." She turned to look at Alan, who had suddenly gotten up from his seat with a curse. "Where are you going?" she asked, confused. "I got a call. I'll be right back." Her jaw dropped a bit as he kissed her temple, sliding past her. "Are you serious? Do you have to take it now?"

          He didn't answer, his phone already pressed to his ear. She pouted, sitting back down against the bleachers. Ever since Rollie had found out about her, he's been checking in a lot more. He found out about the wedding eventually. She wasn't sure how, Alan didn't tell her. But knowing that he knew didn't sit right with her. She looked back over the field where the kids tussled. Before she knew it, a head of curly hair began to block her view. She curled her lip at the sight of Phillip Gallagher escorting Steve's extremely hot Brazilian wife. He approached Deb's first, wrapping her into a side hug and kissing her head. "Lip!" Monica called cheerfully, waving the boy over. "Come on, honey, sit down!"