18.

Devastated, I run to the laboratory and hide my tears from public humiliation. That was only day one. Am I invited back to the Joffrey program for the rest of the week? My attendance isn't mandatory. Oh, what's the point anyways? I'm not strong enough to be compared with these other Legendary, Mythical, and Noble warriors. My days here have officially been numbered.

I let my crying run its course. Somebody else sobs near the back of the laboratory, behind the tables. Lily is crouched on the floor with her sleeve as a tissue. The mascara from her eyes drips black tears down her cheeks. Something urges me to cry with her, but I put on a brave face. Seeing Lily upset isn't pleasant to witness. "Hey," I whisper. "What's wrong?"

Lily takes in a deep breath. "Stupid crap," she breathes. "I just got off the phone with—never mind. It doesn't matter. How did your first day of training go?"

I grin despite the horrible day. "Doesn't matter."

"Well, aren't you mysterious," Lily says.

"If you don't want to talk about it, it's okay." But I can tell that's not true.

"Sag, there's something I need to tell you. Um—I'm not exactly sure how to say this. But there's someone in my life I really—"

The doors swoosh open. "Lily, are you in here?" someone calls out. "Training today was a bitch. A'Dimsyte threw that new warrior to the ground!" I can tell by the sound of her raspy voice it's the same girl I met during training. She doesn't know I'm in the same room with her.

Lily drops the previous conversation for now. "He did what to you?" she gasps.

"Oh, nothing serious." We stand up from the floor together and curiously stalk closer to the visitor.

"How can someone be this far in a Nightfire tournament and not know how to do a standing back tuck? That's one of the first advanced moves you learn as a warrior." She's distracted by grabbing empty beakers off the silver table. I forget her name, yet out of everyone in the class, she's the only one who introduced herself to me as Ryan's wife.

"Annie," Lily declares to her. "I think you're referring to my friend, Sag."

Annie whirls around and gasps at the sight of me. "Oh!" she says, almost dropping the beakers. "I see you two have met."

Lily giggles through my embarrassment. "Sag, this is Annie. She's my sister-in-law."

"Ryan's husband," I remember.

"We already met," Annie informs her, but she gawks towards me. "You better learn how to do your standing back tucks, kid."

"I know." My smile is tense. "Does this mean I'm not allowed back in?"

"Of course you are," Annie says. "He better see you on time tomorrow."

Lily holds onto my arm gently with dark concern. "I can't believe he threw you!"

"Does he always talk to us below the belt like that?" I ask.

"Oh, yes. I love his teaching methods." Annie titters like she doesn't have a problem with it. "A'Dimsyte knows how to put warriors into shape. Don't worry. He's especially harsh on the newbies."

Lily rolls her eyes. "Don't listen to her, Sag."

"No, it's okay," I say honestly. "A'Dimsyte enjoys motivating in a negative way. Like Abigail."

"Yeah, but Abigail wouldn't say those things about your dad. You know A'Dimsyte is heartless," says Lily softly.

Time passes. The only way to tell if it's night or day in a space station is if I'm sleepy or not. The bunkbeds Seeker Headquarters possesses are standard, comfortable, and co-ed. I share the bunkers with two other warriors and Lily. It's dark. Lights out. Lily hangs over the top bunk while I'm on the bottom with my arms and legs sprawled out, looking up to her. I laugh when she tells me about Luka's experiences when he was in Nightfire. One time, her father's telekinesis accidentally pushed A'Dimsyte out the window, and A'Dimsyte has been terrified of heights ever since. She, unfortunately, wasn't there when it happened.