Chapter Six - Changed Woman

A couple of days later I hauled the basket of vegetable across the field and back to the house. Inside Verity and her suitor and Naval Captain were paying a secret court with one another. I was told that Francis and Charles did not approve. Nearing the house I saw Ross entertaining a now grown Ruth Teague and her horrid mother. I knew why they were here, it was actually quite funny. The Poldarks were a old family of Cornwall. Despite the family falling on hard times having the last name Poldark let alone being married in as one, made you of prestige, even if the money of the current times was less that most desired.

"Mistress Abigail. It has been a long time." Madame Teague commented making me stop not far from the three of them formally conversing with one another

"Madam, Ruth." I curtsy and continue on my way back. They were friends of the harpy and were only too happy to engage in vocal cruelty with her against me. Once I return I stage chopping up the ingredients.

"So, Ruth Teague is coming to be the next Poldark." i comment trying to hide a smile in amusement.

"I suspect so. What is it you find so amusing?" he wonders

"Only Ruth being the mistress of Nampara." I laugh "She has the airs I once had. She would not want for dragging up weeds or lending a helping hand. You think tension is thick with us here try adding the airs of the trapped up Teague family. Oh cat fight!" the two of us laugh

"I would win by the way, not that I'm bragging but my right hook has knocked most men down a peg or two." I smirked coyly remembering the times I've had to fend for myself and Demelza.

"Of that I have no doubt." he beamed back at me.

------

While Demelza, Jud, Prudie and I were in the kitchen we heard a commotion. We all glanced at each other. Before exiting the house. Francis was about to duel with Verity's love interest. The two took ten paces then turned around and fired. Francis fell to the ground and I covered my mouth as Verity and Ross ran over to him. The skies darkened as Ross carried his cousin inside.

"Prudie, fetch me some water." I ran to the pump and got some in a bucket then ran upstairs.

"Move. I'll help." I took his side. Demelza handed me some cloth and we both started ruining it up. i dipped it in the water and handed it over as Ross began to take care of him.

"You can go now, Abigail. I have it from here." I nod and take my leave to make drinks for everyone. Elizabeth arrived and ran upstairs, not long after that Ross came down.

"Francis' owes you his life. How did you come to your knowledge of such things?" I wonder as he drinks some of his rum

"On the battlefields of Virginia." The door to the kitchen opens and Charles stand there. I went about my business not bothering to listen to the conversation. When they all left I went to tidy things away. Ross grabbed onto my wrist.

"Do I half-wit branded across my forehead?" he questioned letting go

"Not today." I tried to make light but it didn't work.

"Yet I fell for it again, built a castle out of winks and smiles all the while..." he trailed off thinking for a moment "I should be grateful. What clear proof is needed? Fetch the others, we have work to do." he stood and left the kitchen.

All of us helped set up for Wheal Leisure then cooked fish by it's side. I served a plate to Ross and he took it sitting down.

"You did well today. You are much changed from the girl you once was. I miss it." he commented

"Many people will, she was easier to hurt." I stood and went over to sit with him "I think we have both grown more than others wish in the years we've been away. But I also think that we are were we belong now."