Chapter Thirty Three

Start from the beginning

“We have been waiting for you to come into our lives for so, so long... But I think that somehow, we always knew that you would...”

Stevie smiled sadly and blinked back her tears, hanging onto Lily a little tighter.

“Today is the day I finally have the honour of becoming your Daddy, and I wanted you to have something that always reminds you of this day, and of how much we love you...”

Lindsey opened up the little box to reveal the gorgeous, diamond crescent moon necklace that shimmered and sparkled in the light. They both chuckled as Lily kicked her chubby legs out and squealed excitedly in Stevie’s arms at the sight of it. Lindsey undid the clasp and reached up to hang it around her neck, Lily smiling brightly at him as he did.

“I promise to always love you and to protect you, and to do everything in my power to make sure that you are always happy...”

Stevie yelped as the emotion of the moment crashed into her like an all-engulfing wave, and she suddenly turned away from him, her tears coming thick and fast.

“Steph?” he asked worriedly, reaching up and rubbing his hand over her hip. “Steph baby, are you okay?”

He saw her nod her head quickly in response.

“Steph, I’m uh - I’m not quite finished yet...”

Stevie’s shoulders rose and fell as she inhaled deeply, trying to regain some her composure. As she turned around, her breath caught in her throat and she felt like she might pass out in shock.

There, down on one knee, Lindsey smiled up at her with hope in his eyes another small velvet box in his hands, revealing the most breath-taking ring Stevie had ever laid eyes on.

“Lindsey...?” she breathed in disbelief.

“I have loved you from the moment I first saw you when I was just sixteen years old...”

Stevie covered her mouth with her hand in shock; she could not believe that after all these years, it was finally happening.

“We have been through so much together already, and there is no one in this world I’d rather spend the rest of my life with...”

He smiled up at her with such love in his eyes that she felt her knees go weak beneath her.

“Stephanie Lynn Nicks...”

“Yes...?”

“Would you do me the honour of making me the happiest man on earth and becoming my wife?”

Lindsey held his breath as he waited for her response, unable to tear his eyes away from hers. As the seconds ticked by, the past twenty years they had spent together flashed through his mind and he knew that this had always been written in the stars. This was the way it was meant to happen.

Just as Stevie went to speak, Lily kicked her legs out excitedly and squealed loudly, causing them both to break out laughing.

“Yes, Lindsey! Yes! Of course I will!” she breathed ecstatically, holding her hand out and gasping as he slipped the ring onto her finger with ease.

Stevie caught his soft lips in hers as he lunged forwards and took her face between his hands. They pulled away and rested their foreheads together, looking down and smiling at Lily who was beaming up at them happily.

“Come on,” Lindsey whispered softly. “Let’s go and make Lily our daughter.”

They had decided to keep it an intimate affair and so when they arrived at the family court, they were only met by an emotional-looking Karen.

“Ohhh, look at you, sweet pea!” Karen fussed over Lily in her new dress, tickling her cheek as she hung from Stevie’s arms. “You look absolutely gorge-OH MY GOODNESS...!”

Karen gasped in shock as she caught sight of the impressive diamond ring placed on Stevie’s left hand. She searched their faces for answers and her jaw dropped in astonishment when she saw a couple of knowing smiles dance across their lips.

“I don’t believe it!” she said, her eyes full of disbelief. “I am so, so happy for you two! You three!”

“Thank you Karen,” Lindsey smiled, embracing her warmly.

Karen pulled away and smirked at Stevie who looked genuinely happier than Karen could ever remember.

“You deserve this,” she whispered into her ear, feeling Stevie hug her a little tighter at the words.

Brenda and Stevie’s solicitor soon turned up and after a quick brief about what they should expect, the little family-to-be entered the courtroom and took their seats on the pews.

Lindsey slipped his hand into Stevie’s and squeezed it encouragingly, knowing that the last time she had been there, things had not gone as smoothly as she would have hoped.

“The court calls the case of Stephanie Lynn Nicks and Lindsey Adams Buckingham.”

With a deep breath and their fingers intertwined, Stevie and Lindsey followed their solicitor up to the bench. It was the same judge that had conducted Stevie’s first hearing, but something about his demeanour had changed. He welcomed them both to the bench with a smile and outstretched hands.

“Welcome!” he exclaimed, gesturing for them to step forward.

Lily, who had just started to drift off to sleep against Stevie’s shoulder, was suddenly jolted awake by the judge’s booming voice; Stevie bounced and shushed her a little before things began to escalate.

“It is my understanding that you are here for the custody of Baby A, date of birth June 6th 1990. Is that correct?”

“Yes your honour,” they proclaimed in unison, squeezing each other’s hands anxiously.

“Well, everything seems to be in order here, so we’ll just get right to it!”

His cheerful attitude did wonders for their nerves and they both instantly relaxed in front of him.

“Do you both understand the responsibilities you have to the child from this day forth?”

“We do,” they smiled down at Lily.

“And do you understand that the promise you make today is legally binding and irrevocable?”

“We do,” they nodded.

“And what is the name you have chosen for the child?”

“Lillian Rebecca Buckingham,” Stevie chimed in without missing a beat.

Lindsey’s eyes widened in surprise and he looked down to Stevie who was beaming up at him happily. His heart leapt into his throat and he had to swallow the emotion to stop from bursting into tears then and there.

“By the court of law and the state of California, I here grant Stephanie Lynn Nicks and Lindsey Adams Buckingham full custody of their new daughter, Lillian Rebecca Buckingham. Congratulations to you all!”

When the gavel hit the block and they looked into each other’s eyes, it was almost as if it had been the very first time. For after so many years of love and heartbreak, Stevie and Lindsey were finally as they were always destined to be.

A beautiful family.

END.

---

A/N: And that's a wrap folks! Thank you so much to everyone who has stuck with this, it blows my mind to know that people enjoy my writing! As always I'd love to hear your feedback and I may be persuaded to write more/sequel if there's the interest. All my love to you!