Games We Play

I wiped the back of my hand across my damp forehead, letting out an exhale of relief as I stepped away from the bustling crowd and flagged down the bartender for some water.

Leaning against the bar to catch my breath, I grinned towards Hunter as he sauntered away from the dance floor and over to me.

It had been a couple of hours since the chaos with Kat and Casper, and all had been forgotten as we wasted the night away dancing and drinking.

The latter probably contributed to forgetting the chaos, as the two of them had gotten pretty wasted as the night progressed.

Though, Casper had certainly not forgotten his obvious attraction towards Kat, made evident through his futile attempts to get her to dance with her out on the floor.

Kat was set on rejecting him, but I didn't miss the way that her eyes flashed with want each time Casper caught her gaze.

It could've just been the alcohol, but there was no denying the spark in her eyes.

Yeah, they definitely reminded me of a certain couple.

"You doing all right, love?"

Hunter's raspy voice pulled me out of my thoughts, and I came to see that he was standing right before me, his piercing eyes sending a wave of heat through my already warm body.

The feeling of his body against mine on the dance floor didn't escape my mind as I glanced at him.

The way we had been pressed up together - sweaty, unruly, and unforgivingly out of control. It had felt like a constant game of push and pull, me twirling away into the crowd of bodies only to be snatched up by Hunter and drawn impossibly close, our bodies colliding and grinding together in every possible way.

It had been...euphoric.

Tilting my head up to meet his gaze, my lips curved into a soft smile. "Never better."

Hunter's eyes shone at my words, clearly pleased to see me so happy.

And I was. Despite how many nerves I had about tonight, about intertwining my two worlds, it had turned out to be some of the most fun I had in a while.

It felt nice to let loose for once, to pretend like none of the danger out there existed.

And it felt damn nice to have everyone I loved together.

Tucking a wayward strand of my hair behind my ear, Hunter's mouth tipped into a subtle grin. "I'm glad to hear it, Angel."

Turning towards the dance floor, Hunter's grin spread into one of amusement. "Seems like you're not the only one having a good time tonight."

Following his gaze, a laugh bubbled out of my throat as I saw Kat swaying against Liam on the dance floor, her eyes centered on Casper's jealous gaze across the floor the whole time she moved.

"God," I uttered with a laugh, "those two are bound for some more chaos."

Hunter just shook his head and chuckled, seeming to have come to the same conclusion.

My gaze left the dance floor, shifting towards the far end of the bar where Micah stood with his arms crossed and back straight, facing the crowd.

"I guess not everyone's having a good time," I voiced, motioning towards Micah.

Hunter followed my line of view. "Micah? Nah, he's fine. That's how he always is, just watching the crowd and making sure everything's running smoothly. That guy will rarely let loose."