Chapter 22

I woke up on the couch in Carlisle's office. Jasper was sleeping in a chair next to me. He woke up when I started moving.

     "What happened?" I asked.

     "You passed out," he told me. "You and Alice were talking when you whispered 'Victoria' and fell to the ground."

     "Oh," was all I managed to say. I don't know how I'm going to explain this.

"Will you tell me why that happened?" He asked patiently.

This is why I love him. He never expects me to immediately tell him everything. He knows what happened in the past and he knows it's hard for me to communicate. When bad things happen, he lets me explain on my own time.

"I know her," I stated.

"Victoria?"

"Yeah," I said. "She was J-" I hesitated. I may have been able to cope with the past after finding my mate but that doesn't mean I've forgotten. I still can't say his name.

     "Jackson? She knew him?" I nodded.

     "She was his true mate," I finally said. "She had caught his scent and was following it. When she got to the house, she saw me leaving with the kids. She saw what I had done to him. She's been following me ever since. I thought I'd finally lost her."

     Jasper was at a loss of words. That's understandable. It's a lot to process.

     "So," he started. "You killed Victoria's true mate, for good reason, fled the scene to avoid her, and left the state because she was the one who convinced the girls you were evil for killing 'such as attractive man'?"

    "Yeah pretty much," I said. Another thing I love about him. He can take my mediocre explanations and decipher them for what they really mean. "My question is how did she find me? My friends from other states have kept an eye on her and she wasn't even in Washington two days ago. What changed?"

     "I don't know," he replied. "But whatever, or whoever, it was. We need to figure it out. Soon."

"No," I said.

"What?" Jasper asked. "No? Why?"

"Because I wanted to get married," I replied. "I don't care what happens after that but I want to get married before I'm possibly murdered." He glared at me.

"Kennedy Arielle," he said in a stern tone. "You are not going to be murdered. Not as long as you have us to protect you and our children."

I smiled and leaned over to kiss him. Before my lips could lock with his, Loretta and Reese came running into the room. They tackled me and Jasper. We fell back onto the bed, laughing so hard we could barely breathe.