Prologue

{A/N So, my first attempt at an actual fan fiction, aside from random "What would happen if..." scribblings I used to do in the margins of my school work. Most of which involved Hannibal Lecter. Or Lucius Malfoy. What can I say, I'm a shameless fan girl. But, I digress! This story is still being written, so any comments/criticisims/suggestions are greatly appreciated and might even worm their way into the story. Also, since this browser is sucky and old, I can't use italics. They shall be identified by ~ ~ 'Kay? ^^ ENJOY!}

-x-X-x-X-x-X-x-

PROLOGUE

~Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered...~

Ngh...no...

~For my will is as strong as yours, and my kingdom is as great...~

Stop it! Please!

~YOU HAVE NO POWER OVER ME!~

"NO!"

The blonde haired man jerked awake with a gasp, chest heaving as he tried to catch his breath. It had happened again. Those damned nightmares... How ridiculous! He, the mighty Goblin King, reduced to nightmares in the dark. Jareth snorted in disgust. Freeing himself from the tangled heap of sheets, he crossed the room and took up his familiar perch on the ledge of his window, staring out over his precious Labyrinth. The once glorious maze that had never failed to trap helpless victims within its ever shifting confines. Now it looked old....crumbled....

Defeated.

How HAD she beaten it? How had a mere girl bested him at his own game? That girl. "Sarah..." he muttered, lip curling in a halfhearted sneer. She had waltzed right in with her "That's not fair!" and her little band of 'friends'. And she had won. Despite his tricks, his threats, his bribes, and his charm...she had uttered those hated words, taken her brother back to her world, and left him in a weakend state. Since then, it had seemed like there was no one else who had a bit of imagination or faith in magic. The goblins were antsy, wondering when they could cross over and take more children that were wished away. But no one had summoned them.

It was as if no one believed.....