Chapter Forty-five

Depuis le début

Oh. I nodded.

A cramp hit me and I subconsciously crossed my legs at my ankle, wetting my apparently dry  lips. I settled for a subtle feet tapping against the car floor as I waited for the pain to dissipate. I rested my jaw on my palm and my elbow on the door handle.

Once this traffic clears up, I'll be in my house in no time since I don't live too far. Hopefully, I wouldn't get to the gut wrenching and puking stage. Can't have myself being embarrassed for the second time.

I shut my eyes tightly as I felt another wave of cramps take over my lower abdomen. I rested my head against the glass and listened to the rain tapping against it.

"Here"

I heard the crackling sound of a nylon bag beside me. I turned in the direction and found Yinka was holding out a blue nylon bag.

"What's this?" I asked eyeing the bag as I slowly took it off his hands.

I placed it in my laps and immediately felt a warm sensation before I even got to look into it. I pushed the nylon open and found a takeaway plate and a cool bottle of water. I pulled out the plate and looked at it's content from the side. It was Jollof rice.

I glanced at him with furrowed brows and returned to the bag. I carefully placed the plate back into the bag and pushed the bottle to side to find a packet of Paracetamol.

"Is this for me?" I asked, slightly lost

"Yeah. Who else?"

I opened my mouth to speak but words failed to fall out. I wasn't sure what exactly I wanted to say. Right in front of me was exactly what I needed but how he knew was what I wasn't fully comprehending.

He took note of my internal struggle and decided to help me. "I was on my way here and when the weather, it was pretty obvious that there was going to be a downpour. So, I took a detour to grab these"

I waited for him to go further since he was missing the main component of the narration. He didn't seem to think going by his silence.

"How did you know I was on my period?" I said softly. This was the mind bugging part.

"Oh, I didn't know for sure but I guessed because of your face" he stated like that was supposed to make complete sense.

"My face?" I asked, my hands immediately flew to it.

He spared me a quick glance. "Yeah. It was getting kinda rough. Like pimples and stuff. I heard somewhere that was one of the indications or symptoms or something. Right?"

"Y-yeah, I guess. I mean not everyone is like that but--" I looked into the bag and then back at him. "-- wow, thank you. I don't really know what to say."

He didn't look back at me since he was driving but I noticed his lips curl up in a wide smile. "It's cool"

This was anything more than 'Cool'. It was the most thoughtful thing anyone had ever done for me. My heart truly clenched at the mere thought. I must really be emotional because I think I'd say at this moment, I liked him a little more than friends would do.

I must really be clouded with period emotions.

He glanced at me for a second. "So, you eating that or what?"

I laughed lightly, looking down at the plate. I looked up at him and called out to him. "Hey"

He looked at me and I stared right into his eyes. His countenance softened as we held eye contact.

"Thank you" I said softly, in the most sincere tone I could conjure.

He gave me a small smile. "Anything for you"