ch 16

Liam Moonhovan

It seemed like hanging out with Enzo and having some bonding experiences had become a sort of cycle for us. We had lunch and even went bowling over the course of two weeks. Then, for the following two weeks, I didn't have time to do it again. 

Even though I did call him whenever I could, even though I wasn't required to, I felt compelled to, not because of him but because I.... wanted to?

I had several meetings last weekend and didn't have time for anything else, so I promised Alexis that I'd take her to the mall for the day this Saturday. 

I've felt like I've been so preoccupied with work recently that we haven't spent nearly enough time together. So here we were, enjoying a day out at one of our city's largest shopping malls.  Alexis cheered as I paid for the Uber and we got out. 

I really wasn't in the mood to drive, plus if we left late I'd just call Zach to pick us up. I took her hand walking into the mall as we went through security. 

So where do you wanna start first love?" I inquired, my gaze falling on her. 

"Can I go ride that?" She inquired, pointing to a little bumper car area where a few children were playing and their parents were sitting at nearby restaurants.

 "Of course, anything you want" I smiled as we walked over. 

Alexis was practically bouncing as I paid for her ride, and after she was in her tiny red bumper car, I sat at a table with two chairs in the outside portion of a small restaurant.

I watched her for a while before checking my phone looking up every ten seconds to see her giggling her head off as she bumped cars with another child each time.

 I was reading an article on our company's operations. Every story mentioning our firm was emailed to me or Zach by the social team, so I just read it to pass the time. 

"Hey stranger," I said, looking up from my laptop to see Enzo standing across from me, smiling as usual. 

"What are you doing here?" I asked, and his smile slightly deflated by my tone.

"I came to check out the new sports store that recently opened here, and as I walked by, I noticed you and thought to myself, "Is that Liam?" 'No way,' I thought, 'hang on, that's definitely Liam.' So I came over to say hi. Did you finish your meeting early or something?" He said sitting down as I began to panic. It was about time for Alexis' turn to end, and I'm not sure I was prepared for him to meet Alexis. but before I could respond I heard small footsteps and a voice behind me.

"Papa Papa. Did you see me go whoosh and then-" Alexis dashed over, but came to a halt as soon as she noticed Enzo. I guess it was too late for me to stop them meeting. I held my breath as they exchanged glances. "Who is he, Papa?" As she approached the side of my chair, Alexis questioned, breaking the stillness. 

"Alexis, this is Enzo, my uh- friend," I replied sheepishly and he waved at her.

"and Enzo, this is my daughter Alexis" I said pointing to her. Enzo was stunned, speechless, and his mouth hung agape slightly. 

Alexis, on the other hand, gazed at him with a puzzled expression, as if she couldn't determine whether or not she liked him. For some reason I couldn't help but hope she did "I'm Alexis Moonhovan. like papa. He's also called Moonhovan" Alexis said. 

It's how she's always introduced herself, and it never fails to make people laugh. Enzo was no exception, letting out a little chuckle as he seemed to recover from his shock. "Well, it's great to meet you, Alexis; I'm a friend of your papa's. Enzo"