Chapter six✔️

Nick Shepard

I watch as my son gets out of his car after winning first place in the race. With a wide grin on his face and his friends fist bumping him as they all surround him, I can't help the small grin that forms on my face.

I'm proud.

Jace did good. He always does.

I've been racing ever since I was Jace's age and being able to help raise him into being someone who loves it just as much as I did, I can't help but feel proud that I at least did something right in his life.

I was never a good father I can admit that. I was rarely there for him and when I was, I was teaching him all about cars and how to race. That was it. I was never there for birthdays or holidays. For his first day of school or even his graduation last year.

It's not like it was my fault.

His mother had full custody and would never allow me to go see him.

Jace never knew that though. I didn't want to ruin his view on his mother. He adored her and I never wanted to be the one to ruin that for him. So I let him hate me.

He comes to see me whenever he needs to fix his car or whenever there's a race.

That's it.

He never comes around if it's not car related. And I'm at a point to where I'm okay with that. But I can't deny the fact that it stills hurts knowing that he hates me.

I watch from a far as him and his friends are smiling and jumping all over each other.

My grin slightly falters when I see Jace throw Andy over his shoulder and then start spinning around.

I should be happy that he found a girl.

I should.

But there's something about Andy that makes me drawn to her and it's both infuriating and intriguing.

She's nineteen and I'm fucking thirty-seven. I was her age when I had Jace. It's not right. So I'll stay away.

I shuffle on my feet and start pretending to work on my car when I see them all start heading over in my direction.

"Dad, we're gonna head back to the shop." Jace says from behind me.

I turn around seeing Ethan, Mike and Andy standing next to him.

"That's fine. I'll head there too." I close the hood of my car and face Jace again with a nod. "You did good, son."

Jace just rolls his eyes and wraps an arm around Andy. I don't miss the slight jump in shock from her when he does that. They turn around and start heading to his car.

As I'm about to get in my car, I feel a slender hand on my bicep.

"Care to give me a ride baby? Or would you prefer one?"

Bethany.

I turn around and look down at the 5'4 woman would has been hassling me for years now. Bethany is a twenty-three year old high school drop out who has been following me and my son around to these races hoping to score. She's not ugly in fact, she's quite beautiful. Black hair cut into a bob and a slender body with a nice rack. She's every mans wet dream, but the way she carries herself just makes her all around hideous.