1.1 A Hard Day's Night

FALLING OFF THE BED WAS A GREAT WAY TO START THE DAY

FALLING OFF THE BED WAS A GREAT WAY TO START THE DAY. Aurora lifted her head from the floor, to shut off the blaring sound of an alarm, echoing throughout the hotel room.

Picking herself up from the floor, she made her way to the small ensuite, to get ready for the day. Whilst washing her face, she noticed that her hair was sticking out in every way possible. She huffed and reached for the brush sitting on the sink counter. Once she thought she looked a bit presentable, she started to gather her things and headed out the door.

The hospital was walking distance from the hotel and a few minutes later, a large building embellished with the words Seattle Grace Hospital finally came into her view.

After ten minutes of wondering around the hospital, Aurora found herself in a room full of interns. A tall man, known as Richard Webber, the Chief of Surgery, stood in front of them, a single door behind him.

"Each of you comes her today hopeful. Wanting in on the game. A month ago you were in med school being taught by doctors. Today..." He trailed off, opening the door that led to an empty, sterile OR. The lights turned on and the cluster of interns walked in. "...you are the doctors. The seven years you spend here as a surgical resident will be the best and worst of your life. You will be pushed to the breaking point. Look around you. Say hello to your competition."

Aurora looked around, her eyes meeting with the eyes of a woman with dirty blonde hair, who was roughly the same height as her. She awkwardly smiled at the blonde and received a light smile back.

Aurora rarely made friends during her life as a child. Whether it was her inability to communicate with people of similar age or her lack of good experiences when it came to relationships. She just hoped that every one of those things would change within her time in Seattle.

"Eight of you will switch to an easier specialty. Five of you will crack under pressure. Two of you will be asked to leave. This is your starting line. this is your arena. how well you play... that's up to you."

. . .

"Okay, Martin, Robinson, Bond, Hawkins."

The interns were now huddle in the locker room, talking amongst themselves and getting ready, while senior residents called out their names.

Aurora was changing in her light blue scrubs, when she heard the blonde from earlier talking to a woman with dark curly hair.

"Only six women out of twenty." The blonde said in disbelief. "Yeah, I heard one of them is a model." The curly haired woman added. "Seriously? Like that's going to help with the respect thing?"

Aurora was tying up her shoelaces, when the curly haired woman approached her and spoke up, "You're Aurora, right? You spilled your drink at the mixer."

Aurora looked up from the ground, sheepishly smiling, while tucking a piece of hair behind her ear, slightly cursing herself for being so clumsy. "Yeah, that was me. You're Cristina."