016

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

016. bonds

Kai wandered the streets of loguetown aimlessly, he was getting impatient.

Where was Dragon? Why was nothing happening yet? Why is Luffy still an idiot?

As he progresses on his thoughts, automatically coming up with outcomes thanks to his way of overthinking-- he failed to notice the wind suddenly grow denser. He approached the execution site, still in a bad mood.

And as his eyes darted up, he saw Luffy's smiling face that grinned widely while a clown was about to cut his neck in half.

Usually, Kai would allow so. As he would always do. He didn't find himself helping just like the time where Luffy was nearly devoured by a big tiger, or the time where a crocodile nearly chewed him to bits.

No, he didn't actually care. His main concern was simply how time relied on the monkey, he was bound for something and Kai thinks it would be vital for the future.

Luffy was always in need of saving and babysitting, it was exhausting. Ever since the day he was born, Kai was always inconvenienced with him.

Reaching for the tip of his gloves to pull one hand off in one go, he was abruptly halted when a lighting struck the platform, collapsing it and the clown who fell back-- electrocuted and passed out. Luffy was doing well, Kai can tell.

He could only sigh after realizing it was Dragon's doing.

In a way, he did care for his children-- despite giving them away and having no contact with them until Kai decided to reach out.

For as long as Kai could remember, he first opened his eyes in this world and saw Dragon's face peering at him. It was a jump scare and the universe should have given him a heads up. But no, they rolled on with it and made him process that he was somehow reincarnated with his memories and his quirk still intact.

3 years, Kai spent learning from his surroundings. Familiar with his new father and family. Luffy was 1 at the time so it was unsurprising that he couldn't remember anything.

But despite having an appearance of a child that knows nothing and can't comprehend anything yet-- it allowed for Dragon to be careless around him, spilling secrets in meetings and talks without a worry that Kai might hear him since it never occurred to him that way.

Was Kai's relationship with him nice? As a growing child in his presence, Kai wouldn't call them close. At that time, he was still adapting to the fact that he was in another complete different world in the body of his toddler self. But he would say that Dragon was fond of him, even from way before Luffy was in the picture.

He was the first child, Dragon's firstborn, his first experience of having a child who has his blood running in his veins-- it was only natural for him to love his son even if he was never really there. And Kai understood that, he just didn't bother too much about it because at the end of the day-- he was a reincarnation, he was Kai Chisaki.