The House That Delona Built

Commissioner Thurl scratched his beak with his forefoot. Sub-architect Delona was standing, beaming, before him. Her vast creation curved above them both, dwarfing the sugar church and even the low hill it was set on.

'So,' said Thurl, gently: his species was courteous to a fault at this stage in their life-cycle. 'What, exactly, is it?'

'I'm so glad you asked!', replied Delona, so excited that she could barely hold her claws still. 'It's for the human ambassador! It's her home. I've done a lot of research! Look, the lift goes up the primary strut there; observation windows there, there and another round there that you can't see; waste disposal is...'

'I understand its function,' said Thurl. 'However, its form is... something of a surprise.'

As he spoke, another flock of drones peeled away from the huge curve that surrounded the building, and Delona absentmindedly clicked into the control collar, directing them to their next job.

'I was as surprised as you!', she replied. 'We had to guess a lot. The scale was hard, but once we learnt about their anatomy, this is the only size that makes sense. And then it all sort of clicked into place. They are descended from tree dwellers, did you know that? We think that's why it all looks like wood. Probably why everything is so high.'

'I did not know that,' said Thurl, thoughtfully. 'It makes sense. But it scares the juice out of me, frankly. Well, Ambassador Lawal will be here within the week. Will it be ready?'

'Of course, Commissioner,' said Delona. She bustled away, clicking into the control collar.

* * *

Delona was as good as her word.

'How was your trip, Ambassador?', asked Thurl. The translator collar shrieked the strange human language as he spoke.

The Ambassador smiled at him. He knew that because the terrifying toothy expression she made was interpreted by a chip in his ear. 'Smile,' it said. Without that knowledge, he would probably have run away.

'Thank you for asking, Commissioner. I don't think I will ever get used to space travel,' she said. 'But, I am glad to be here. Where am I?'

Thurl gestured at the vast edifice. 'We thought you would want a period of time to rest before your formal duties begin. We understand that the drugs you have taken to acclimatise to our world are hard on your anatomy.'

She smiled again, but more weakly this time. 'You are right about that. I appreciate it.' She looked up, taking it all in for the first time. When she saw the huge building, another expression note cheeped into Thurl's ear. 'Awe.'

For the first time, Thurl started to feel confident in Delona's mad creation.

'That's your home,' he said, proudly.

'It's incredible!', replied the ambassador. 'Is it a local architecture style?'

'No,' said Thurl, uncertainly. 'Delona said...'

'I think', said Lawal, smiling, 'there has been something of a mix up. When I said "that would be in my wheelhouse", I meant something rather different...'