Chapter 7 - Unexpected

(let me tell - you all are in for a treat)

A/N : banter and a lot of fluff

Azriel woke up on a bed. He looked around the room, only to notice that it wasn't his. He soon realized that it was a guest room, in Rhys' estate.

His mind was exhausted, and his throat was sore. He didn't want to get up, but he did.

Gwyn

She was the first thing that came into his mind after realizing where he was. He tried to run out of his room, but his body wouldn't let him. He tried tugging on the mating bond, but her side didn't respond.

The last time he felt anything from her side, was when Rhys healed her. He felt all of her pain, and needed to see if she was okay now. So, he sent one of his shadows to look for her, and it obeyed him.

The shadow reported back to him and told him, that she was in the room next to his. He immediately walked to that room, but when he tried to enter it, he was met with an invisible wall. He banged on that wall again, but it didn't budge.

Downstairs, my study. Rhys said in his mind and Azriel thought that he would find Gwyn there.

He was utterly disappointed when he didn't. The entire inner circle was there, except his children.

Rhys motioned for him to sit, and Azriel did. But he did notice some kind of pain Rhys' eyes, and the same kind of pain in others' as well.

"What the fuck happened," Azriel asked, no one in particular. Rhys looked down. It looked like neither of them had slept since days. Each one of them had circles under their eyes.

Rhys finally broke the silence, by saying the most god awful thing in the world, "Nyx and Hayley are missing."

And this time, Azriel did literally flip over the table. "What the hell happened to them?" Azriel asked, in a deadly tone, the need to protect his daughter now, stronger than ever.

"Az, you don't need to worry, Hayley's with Nyx-" Rhys started but Azriel interrupted, "Nyx is still a fucking kid Rhys who doesn't know how to control his powers completely."

"You know that's not true-" "Do you even know where they are Rhys-"

And at that, Rhysand remained silent. "Do you know how many enemies we have and what they could do to our children-" and this time, it was Feyre who interrupted, "We know that very well Azriel and we know how many enemies we have. We've been working day and night to find them-"

"So have you found them?" Azriel asked, but this time, Feyre too remained silent.

"Found whom?" and as soon as Azriel heard that voice, he hurled his neck to the doorway so fast, that if it was not for his fae flexibility, it would have broken.

There was Gwyn, lying against the door frame, her wings still red, her body covered with bandages. Azriel's voice stuck in his throat, he wasn't able to speak anything. He thought he was dreaming, and he needed to make sure, that it really was his mate in the doorway. So, he tucked on their bond.

He knew Gwyn felt that because as soon as he did, her eyes snapped to his. And they just stood there, staring at each other. But Azriel couldn't be any more happier about the fact, that she'd looked at him. She was finally looking at him.

And then she did the most unexpected thing, she tugged on their bond slightly, and Azriel's knees started to buckle. Thankfully Rhys was there to safely sit him down on the couch.

Rhys then asked Gwyn, "How'd you get through my wards?" at which, Gwyn just looked puzzled.

"There were wards around my room? I didn't even try to break them. But more importantly, why were there wards around my room?"