Chapter Two

Cayla's POV

   What was I thinking? I mean, I'm forbidden to even look at him, let alone engage in a conversation with him and confirm his thoughts that I was a vampire. I don't know what I was doing. I'm so glad my parents aren't around for this. They would be pissed beyond belief, not to mention the bollocking I'd get from the others. I sat in my flat thinking for ages about last night.

   Okay, I should probably say about my family. I was born a vampire. My parents were turned. My brother and sister were born vampires too. When I was forty six, my mum, dad, brother and sister were all killed by a team of hunters. They were trained to kill our kind so knew the ins and outs of us. One night, we were all out for the night. We had attacked a group of campers and were just finishing up when the hunters came from out of nowhere. Before I could try to help my family, my brother picked me up and ran as fast as he could taking me away from the forest and to Their house. It was the leader of our kind - well, in this country anyway - it was his house and his family that also looked over Britain's population of vampires and covered up our tracks if anything went wrong. They made our rules and chose our punishments for breaking them. After my brother got me to the house, he was caught and killed whilst going back to help my family. Being the baby of the family meant that I missed out on all of the action. Did I forget to mention that we are like dogs to humans in reverse? We age so slowly compared to you guys that it's unbelievable. That's why I look like a sixteen year old. As we get older, we age even slower.

   Two of the rules I had already broken. We were not to even look at a werewolf, hunter or any other species to do with the magic world that wasn't a vampire, let alone have a conversation and also we weren't meant to confirm peoples suspicions about our being vampires. So, two rules in one night, what an accomplishment.

   As the blind hung at the bottom of the window sill protecting me from the sun - thank God for black out blinds - I sighed and looked at my clock. Four forty seven - thank God for daylight saving and turning the clocks back in winter. Wow, I'm being very thankful today. Strange. Oh well, soon it would be dark enough for me to leave, just another forty five minutes, or so.

   I went to the fridge, pulled out a carton of milk and poured myself a glass. Milk was one of the only other things we consumed apart from blood. One of the main reasons was that the calcium was good for our fangs. I mean, if we chip a fang we can't go to a human dentist and - that I know of - there are only three vampire dentists on the globe. Also, the milk made good for adding a little colour to our skin. Well, I say a little colour, I really mean that it gives us the look of a person that doesn't go into the sun. Which is what we are. If we didn't drink the milk our skin would be a translucent grey colour and we would stick out like sore thumbs.

   Okay, so I keep on saying 'we'. What I really mean is 'my kind'. I'm the only one of us within a sixty mile radius. All of the vampires that were here were killed off by a group of hunters, the bastards. About seventy years ago the ratio of humans to vampires in this sixty mile radius was one to five. In these recent years, though, they had found out our weaknesses and took us all out, one-by-one. Well, except for me. That was the worst part of it. Life was so lonely and depressing. My life was just a cycle: spend all daylight hours amusing myself (attempting and failing miserably), go out, work for a while, leave work and act like the little girl that just wanted to walk around in the dark and not get attacked, 'convince' a person to come into the woods with me, feed off of them, drag the body away to a place where They would send someone to deal with it and then go home and begin the cycle all over again. All of this must be done without getting spotted by anyone or picked out. Also, one thing that sucks (if you'll pardon the pun), is that we don't sleep. Because our body is always in predator mode, it just physically won't shut down. I wonder why I don't have wrinkles and really bad bags?

   As I sat down and drank my milk, I wondered what would happen about the mangy wolf that had spotted me yesterday. Maybe They would find out about him and deal with him pretty soon. Hopefully, they wouldn't know that I had revealed anything, they would just think he was someone with a lot of spare time to think up crazy ideas.

   After thinking things around and staring at the wall, I went outside and got to work a few minutes early. After serving customers in the cinema I went into town and got some oil paints from the huge Tescos (did I forget to tell you that art is one of my passions in life?). I then got a guy from outside the store to 'walk me home'. You see, that he knew, my home was on the other side of the wood and I was scared of the wood and the dark. He gladly did. When we got to the centre of the wood, I put my bag down and pushed him to the floor, pouncing on top of him. Before he could scream I knocked him out. As I lent down to bite into his neck, I heard someone coming. I turned around to see the flea bag from yesterday.

Oscar's POV

   I walked into the woods after thinking about the blue haired chick all day. I thought she might be there. When I saw her, she had her fangs grazing the guys skin, about to bite into him. She saw me and instantly stood up, rushing towards me. Before I could do anything, she had me up against a tree with her hand choking me and blocking my airway. I spluttered for air while trying to move her hand from my throat. When she didn't move, I changed. It was painful and I think it shocked her slightly. As my clothes, now tattered shreds, fell to the floor, I jumped forwards and sent her to the ground, me on top of her. I pinned her legs and arms down with my paws. She tried to struggle but I put my full weight into it.

   When she eventually calmed down, I stared at her. She stared back into my eyes, her own brown eyes pulling me into a trance almost. She then said a few things and, before my body knew what it was doing, I noticed that I was getting off of her and backing away. I don't know why I was doing this. I mean, I'm a werewolf and we're supposed to protect humans but...I'm not, I'm walking away and letting her...attack me. Why? It's like my mind wants to stop and fight back but my body doesn't, it wants to do...what she said as she stared into my eyes. Did she...control my mind, or something?

   I needed to fight back.

   I concentrated on all of the people this vampire could hurt. I concentrated on it so hard and mentally fought against my body. Soon, I was in control of my body. I immediately went for her neck. As I jumped towards her, she moved a little too soon and I only managed to scratch her throat with my teeth (instead of biting her neck, ripping out her throat and killing her, as planned), leaving deep red welts that started to ooze blood. She instantly put her hand to neck as she screeched in pain.

   Our teeth were one thing that vampires couldn't stand. Our teeth had, like, an enamel on them that was toxic to vampires. So, even a scratch was painful. To the neck it was terrible as that's why we always went for the neck if we wanted an instant kill. We always did. Well, not now, now I just wanted to leave.

   As she fell to the floor, her hand still to her neck, I ran home, taking the way that avoided all areas that people - crazy enough to be up at this time - would be.

  When I got home, I had the wrath of Melanie. Melanie was one of the other teen werewolves that I lived with. There were four of us in this town. Melanie, Craig, Paul and me. After pulling on a pair of jeans I walked into the kitchen to get a drink. "You reek, boy! You absolutely reek of it. Again. Who are they?" Melanie said to me, her voice full of disgust.

I didn't want this girl getting killed by Melanie because of me, I wanted to do it myself, so I simply said "I don't know. I went out on patrol and was jumped by some vampire in the woods. I pushed them off of me, changed and, before I could get a look at their face, they were gone."

"Mmm hmm." She said, ignoring every word that I'd just said. It's not that we don't get a long, we just have very different view points on what's right, wrong, who should die and who should live.

  Later that night I lay in bed and fell asleep dreaming of the vampire. She was just so amazing. I know I should be a bit threatened by her but, well, she was just different from any other vampire that I'd met. Okay, I say met, I really mean fought or killed.