#6- As Sweet as a Strawberry

A/N: set in modern time for L's birthday :)

It had been over five minutes since L had first knocked on his door, and Light was still deciding on which shirt to wear.

At this rate, they'd miss their reservations at the restaurant and end up ordering some crappy fast food instead. Although, with L being as addicted to junk food as he is, Light didn't think it'd be a bad idea.

"Light, is everything okay in there?" L called through the door, peering down at the watch on his wrist.

"Mhm! I'll be out in a minute!" Light lied through his teeth, knowing damn well he'd take longer than a minute. He frantically tried to decide between two different coloured shirts. He had no clue which one 'suited' the mood better, but he did remember that L had once said that the deep navy shade complimented his auburn eyes and hair, so he hurriedly slipped it on and smoothed out the newfound creases.

"Do I need to come in there and help you?"

"Hell no!" he yelled back.

He would 'distract' him for the next several hours, and then they'd without a doubt miss their dinner reservations.

After he had checked the mirror for the umpteenth time that evening, he finally clasped the last thing he needed and delicately popped it into a pocket in his trousers. A small, velvety box, which he had been trying his hardest to ignore for the past week. Hopefully, the box will be empty of its contents by the end of the night.

He drew in a shaky breath and flung the door open, his keen eyes landing on L, who was leaning against the wall with a tedious grin. Heat rose to Light's cheeks at the sight of him. He was donning a creamy button-down shirt that had classy buttons sewn onto it, with sleek cerulean slacks and polished leather shoes.

Light racked his brain, but he couldn't say that he had ever caught a glimpse of his boyfriend so dashingly dressed. Hell, he had seen his wardrobe before, and he had never noticed any other garments besides his infamous ill-fitting shirts and faded blue jeans. And shoes weren't even a thing to him.

"Took your time in there, didn't you?" L teased, springing Light from his train of thought.

"Yeah, well, I was trying to outdress you, but it seems that I failed, huh?" Light said with a sarcastic eye roll, before wrapping his arms around L's waist and pressing him into a kiss. L gently tugged at the collar of Light's shirt, further mashing their lips together.

L pulled away and rested his forehead against Light's. "I can't help but imagine what you look like under all that clothing, though," he murmured against Light's sinuous lips.

"Oh?" Light hummed, gazing into L's midnight eyes before a smirk cinched his lips. "Well, you know what they say, anything for the birthday boy."

"But for now, we are going to be late to dinner, so, chop-chop, let's go," he drawled as he pulled out his car keys. Light grinned at his boyfriend's punctuality and extended his arm out, which L happily took. They strode down to the car, L taking the wheel.

Light couldn't help but shift his hand to that stupid little box in his pocket. He tried to focus on whatever words were slipping past L's lips. However, his eyes kept wandering back to L's bare ring finger, which he yearned to have a ring on in the next few hours.

Hopefully.

Once L had killed the car engine and they made their way into the garish restaurant, they took their seats, ordered their food, and then a realization dawned on Light.

"Isn't this the place where we came on our first date, five years ago?" Light asked, faintly knitting his brows together.

A chuckle escaped L's lips. "Why else do you think this is my favourite restaurant, darling?"