Chapter 35. Pancakes.

Ambar opened the door. She stood there in a light blue fluffy dressing gown and pink pom pom slippers.

"What's up?" she said.

"Pom Pom slippers! I didn't expect you to have a pair of them." I smiled.

"Get in". She held my face and kissed me straight on the lips, grabbed my hand and led me through.

I liked the feel and smell of her place. It was small but it was full of light, being up on the fifth floor. Her mum and little sister came straight out to see me.

"Hair's still looking good, Jasper," her mum said, smiling. "I'm making pancakes. I guess you'd like one, or three?"

"Definitely!" I said, relieved to be out of my mad house.

Kneeling down, I grabbed a screaming Nina and lifted her up high.

"How are you little Missy?" I said,

She giggled and squirmed.

I put her back down and she hid behind her mum, big brown eyes peeking out.

I'd never had the combo of banana, fresh mango, blueberries and maple in my pancakes before. Jeez they were good!

I felt like a human being again.

As we sat there chatting, Ambar put her hand on my leg under the table, squeezed, and then suddenly pinched me.

I yelped and jumped. Her mum jolted and spilled some coffee.

"What's up Jasper? Having a little spasm?" Ambar laughed. So did Nina.

"Ambar!" said her Mum. "look what you've gone and done now..." she said, mopping up the coffee with kitchen roll.

"Yeah, look what you've done, Ambarrr!!" I mocked.

I shifted things on.

"Take a look at this, you're not gonna believe it." I said, presenting my iPhone and explaining the action.

"That's crazy!" said her mum."What's up with that bird? That's your brother's pet, you say? What's wrong with a cat? I've heard of Mad Cow Disease, but Mad Chicken Disease?"

"It's Poultry in Action!" I laughed.

"No, it's the new KFC. Kentish Town F**'ed up Chicken" laughed Ambar. Hey let's put it out on our YouTube Channel Jasper. It's crazy, this is so gonna go viral!"

Back in her room, I spilled the beans.

I told her I'd seen her, or at least her Spirit Owl, when I was in real danger. I explained it felt important. We were in this together and needed to support one another.

She sat cross-legged next to me on the bed, wide eyed, chin in hands.

"So the scratch on the pane is real? Like if I went over to yours, I'd see a scratch on the pane?" she asked.

"Yes, for real." I responded.

"You know what that means, don't you, Jasper? It means that they have broken through from the spirit world to our world, the one we are experiencing happening right now."

"I know. It's totally fucked up, Ambar."

"How do you know they are not following you here?" she said, wide eyed.

"Maybe they know you are here. Maybe we are all in danger, even Nina and my mum."

"Look, we have no idea, but I think I have to leave today. I packed a few things and I'm going to go down to my Gran's in Dorset. She has a big old house in the middle of nowhere.

I guess if the Council decides to wake the Black Blood, things are going to kick off big time for everyone, especially in London. Think about it, it's going to go mental.

I'll make a place safe for my family and yours. We need to work out an escape plan for your mum and Nina."

"It's not just them. I've got my Auntie Anjinder, Uncle Jihan and all my cousins to think of." she said. "What about them?"

I held my palms up. "Wo, one thing at a time. Gran's place isn't that big. But we'll have to workout a plan for everyone I guess."

"Yes, we will." said Ambar firmly.

"My life has been turned upside down since I met you, Bone Boy, and all for the wrong reasons!"

"Look, it's not my fault. You can't blame me." I said defensively.

"I'm only joking, well at least half joking." She said and kissed me. "I should never have messaged you after that fight with Draper. Life would have been much simpler. But then, on the other hand, I would have missed out on this wild journey. I wouldn't have met my Spirit Animal, and you wouldn't be sitting here next to me on my bed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gran called.

"Jasper, I've spoken to Mum, and she agrees you'd recuperate faster with me for a while. Your Dad was trickier. Apparently you have an appointment at the hospital next week."

"That's true Gran. They are still running tests on me."

"Well, I convinced Dad to move you to Axminster hospital, which is Axcellent!" she laughed. "So get on a train and get yourself here today."

"But Gran, what if they know I'm staying with you, then you might be in danger."

"Jasper, I'm an elderly lady now. But just let them try. I still have my faculties about me and I trust in the power awesome of White Eagle, and my spirit friends."

"Gran, I don't really know what you mean, but I'm coming, anyway."

"Jasper, put me onto video phone, so I can speak to Ambar please."

"Hello White Eagle", Ambar grinned. "Your Grandson is causing a lot of trouble up here. Would you please take him far away!"

Gran laughed. "It would be a pleasure to get him out of your way, Ambar, and then you can have some peace! In all seriousness, if you need it, Ambar, you and your family are most welcome here. 

But in the meantime, my sense is you are safe where you are. I may well need to call on you from time to time, Ambar. We'll meet in the forest, if you take my meaning. Meanwhile, I need to take Jasper away for a while. Is that OK with you?"

"Don't worry about me. I can live without Bone Boy. I will survive!"

"I will give him back to you eventually, I promise." The White Eagle smiled at the Barn Owl and after sorting details with me, she closed the call.

Next thing I knew, I was on the 2:25 Paddington Train to Axminster via Exeter.

Before I'd left for the station, I thought to go back to the house to get some stuff, but I didn't dare. I am sure they sell underwear outside of London. Not sure what they'd be like, though.

"You are going to continue making those YouTubes and getting the message out there, OK?" she said, all bossy, as she stuffed the mic and tripod in my bag. Her mum had stuffed some paratha's and wrapping them in foil.

I liked her a lot!

We embraced, not sure when we would see one another again.