Chapter Five, Part Two - Where's Ringo?

"About my mum -" Joan apologetically stated, feeling embarrassed by her mother's snooty behavior.

"I've got one of me own at home." Ringo's response was easygoing. He didn't want to make a fuss out of what happened. "It's all right." He good-naturedly stated, trying to make light of meeting Joan's condescending mum. He started his car and pulled away from the pavement.

Joan shook her head. "It's not all right." She wanted to explain her mother's standoffish attitude. Joan didn't feel comfortable telling Ringo about the mess of a previous relationship with a beak-nosed lad she'd rather forget. He was the reason her mother had become wary of the young men her daughter would see.

This hadn't been the first time Ringo had been judged based on the way he looked. He doubted it'd be the last and didn't see the point of talking about it. "Dropped off me paperwork today." He abruptly replied, changing the topic of conversation.

"That's great." Joan cheerfully stated, genuinely happy for him. "In celebration of your first steps toward immigrating to the States lunch is on me."

"You haven't got to do that. Just turned in some forms." He shrugged, downplaying it. "Plan on writing to the Houston Chamber of Commerce about work."

"What sort of work?"

"Factory." He paused, waiting for her to take the piss and point out that there was plenty of that to be found in Liverpool.

"Do you have experience?"

Ringo grinned. "Just a bit." He dryly remarked. "I was a fitter apprentice in metalwork. Had a toolkit, learned how to make small parts, and the wages weren't too bad either."

"Just wasn't for you?" Joan looked over at him. She'd only known Ringo as a drummer. It was difficult to imagine him working in a factory because it didn't fit with the image she had of him. Joan reached out and patted his arm. "You've got experience, and that works in your favor. It shouldn't be too difficult for you to get a job in a factory." She encouragingly stated.

"If I'm just going to end up working in a factory could just stay in Liverpool." He morosely replied, thinking of the biting words his mum had for him after learning of his plans that morning.

"It doesn't have to be permanent. You'll get yourself settled, find yourself something you want to do." She pointed out, wanting Ringo to continue with his plans. "I could help you with your letter inquiring about work." Joan offered.

"Maybe." He noncommittally replied, wanting to do this on his own.

(----)

Standing outside the Zodiac Coffee Bar, Cilla drank from her bottle of pop, in-between drags off her cigarette. She was in need of a break, and a few moments to herself away from the afternoon crowd. She noticed Joan and Ringo walking toward the coffee bar, and a grin appeared on her face.

"Hard at work." Ringo playfully stated, stopping in front of his friend.

Cilla laughed. "Even when I'm not. What're you two doing?" She pointedly asked, suggestively raising her eyebrow for emphasis.

"Getting lunch." Joan shortly answered, feeling uncomfortable with what her friend was implying. She wasn't interested in Ringo and Joan thought he felt the same as well. She stepped inside, headed up the flight of stairs, and hoped Ringo would follow her.

He turned toward the entrance. 

Cilla reached out, briefly grabbing hold of Ringo's arm to stop him. "What're you two doing?" She felt Joan and Ringo could be good together, but she didn't think they'd end up pairing off. Cilla knew how they each were with relationships. Ringo did his fair share of dating around. Joan was hesitant to get involved with anyone, even for a casual sort of thing.