Chapter 55 - Leavi

Startling reality is settling into my stomach

Startling reality is settling into my stomach. We're really going to kidnap the head of the local government. She really wants us dead. Aster really is telling the truth about magic.

This is the reality of the Outerlands.

I sit down on my foot chest.

"Leavi says she knows the way to Veradeaux's chamber," Aster says, leaning against the wall.

Sean stands, arms crossed, on the other side of the room. "And?"

"I think I can subdue her. So all we need is some way into the room. Leavi said you might be able to help with that."

Sean turns to me. "You know I can't make a copy unless I have the original. I don't think you want to sneak in and steal another one." He raises an eyebrow.

"Surely there's another way to do it," I say.

"Why can't your friend over there just magic the lock open?"

Aster rubs the back of his neck. "I can't pick the lock with magic unless I can see into it. That means there has to be good light on at least one side of the door, and even then, most locks are too small to see into. So, no. I can't 'magic' the lock."

I say to Sean in Errelian, "If you can improvise a bomb in a closet, surely you can come up with some way to get past a single door."

"That was different. I had access to all kinds of lovely chemicals in that closet and was trying to make noise."

"You can't really be out of options. The great Doktor Sean Rahkifellar surely has some kind of ace up his sleeve." I watch him, hoping my words prove true.

He reaches into a pocket, pops open a device, and puts it away. Exasperatedly, he says, "I guess I have to figure out something. I'll make it work." He gives me a thin smile that looks more nervous than encouraging.

Aster says, "Are you two going to translate, or do I just have to guess?" He smiles, taking the sting from the words while leaving their point.

"Sorry." I smile back, but it's tinged with nerves. "Sean says he can do it."

Aster nods. "Good."

"Hold on," Sean says. "I think you've got a bit of a hole in your plan—well, a few, but this one's really glaring. You said you 'think you can subdue' Veradeaux? So what, you planning to waltz in there and carry her out over your shoulder? Without her warning the guards?"

"We would gag her, obviously," Aster says.

"And you think she's going to welcome you with open arms when you walk into her room and let you cart her out?"

"You wanted me to solve your task with magic, so how do you guess I'm going to accomplish mine?"

"So you've got some kind of presto knock-out spell? Or can you wave your fingers and make her follow your every command?"