III

PERSEPHONE woke up to darkness, with only a single lamp providing light in the room. She dressed herself, mending the torn clothes Hades had ripped. As she looked at the red stains on his bed, the memories of what he had done to her came flooding back, bringing tears to her eyes.

She was about to leave when she caught sight of Hades talking to someone. She couldn't be mistaken; it was Hermes. Unable to resist listening, she stayed hidden.

"Great Lord Hades, god of the underworld and the deceased, I am here to deliver a message from Great Zeus, my father," Hermes spoke.

"You may proceed, Hermes," Hades replied.

"Demeter, the mother of Persephone, has let the crops and plants on the surface world wither. There is a severe drought, and if it continues, Father fears that the people will have nothing to eat. The only solution is for you to return Persephone to her mother," Hermes conveyed.

Hades nodded thoughtfully, and Persephone observed the silent exchange.

"Tell Zeus I will consider it. Thanatos, escort Hermes to the Gate of our realm and remove his veil," Hades commanded with a wave of his right hand. Thanatos promptly obeyed, guiding Hermes out while removing the veil that concealed his presence.

Persephone wanted to follow them to find out the way out, but she knew it would be futile. Hades could easily bring her back to his world if he wished. Determined, she decided to confront him.

HADES turned to see Persephone approaching. It had been almost a week since she had been in his company, but she seemed oblivious to the passing of time, thinking only a few days had gone by.

"How is my Queen doing?" he smiled at her.

"Don't call me your queen because I haven't accepted the role of being the queen of your kingdom!" she retorted, giving him a mocking grin. "My mother is looking for me, so return me to her!"

"Don't give me orders, Persephone. I know what I should do." Hades stood up and handed her a fruit—a pomegranate.

"What am I supposed to do with this?"

"Eat it."

"I won't. I know that if I eat any food or drink anything in this realm, I won't have a chance to return to the surface world."

"That's not true. It's just a rumour about this world. No one has proven it because everyone who died never returned, and once someone enters this world, they can't leave after seeing my true form."

"But I can see your face now."

"That's why you should eat this. I'll give you a chance to return to the surface world without difficulty. You just need to eat six seeds, and you can go back to your mother." He handed her the fruit, bringing it closer to her face. Reluctantly, she took it and ate the six seeds, while he secretly smiled to himself.

ZEUS, along with other gods and Persephone's mother, Demeter, silently waited outside the kingdom of Hades.

"Hades, my lord, is now here. It is only fitting to veil your eyes," Thanatos, Hades' right hand, announced. All the gods followed suit, except for him. Only he and his brother Poseidon had the ability to see Hades.

"How are you, my brother?" he greeted as he saw him holding his daughter, Persephone, by the shoulders.

"I am well, my brother," he smiled.

"I know you're aware of why we're here," he said.

"Return my daughter to me, Hades, or you will face consequences!" Demeter shouted, ready to charge at Hades, whom she couldn't see due to her veil. However, Persephone stopped her and hugged her.