Chapter 3 | now, maeve goes grocery shopping and doesn't keep a promise

Start from the beginning

"We'll spare no expense," he agreed, still concerned. "I'll tell everyone to go home for the day and that they can submit their work tomorrow or owl it here."

"I'll wait with you till the ward masters come." Just in case anything happened during that time.

Xenophilius gave her a quick, appreciative yet anxious smile before exiting. Maeve kept her vision fixed to the window, her eyes scanning for any suspicious activity. She left after the other employees did; after the ward masters arrived and were under Xenophilius' careful watch, after moving to twenty metres past the Quibbler to apparate, keeping up appearances.

Martha and John lived in the corner of Diagon Alley susceptible to falling victim to muggings and robbery. Their building—like Xenophilius had once said—looked like it was barely being held together by magic, its paint chipping and cracks present on its walls. Maeve even recognised a patch of algae, blending with ivy as it covered the side of the building.

She climbed up the creaking wooden stairs whose railing had rusted up to the third floor and knocked on the right door, which had been decorated by crayon drawings of two stick figures.

Her only warnings were the opening of the door and a shrill squeal of "Maeve!" before she caught an armful of boy, nearly toppling her over.

Maeve giggled as she hugged John back. "Hi, John. How are you doing?"

"I'm good!" He said happily before the corners of his lips downturned. "But mummy's acting all weird and giggly."

"She must be excited about going out," she told him and clasped his hand. "Could you show me where your mother is?"

John dragged her into the flat, shutting the door behind them with a kick of his foot. Martha emerged from the one-bedroom in the flat, a vision in baby blues.

"Oh Merlin," breathed out Maeve as she looked at Martha, "you look absolutely lovely!"

Martha flushed and twirled around. "You really think so?"

"I do. Like, wow. You're stunning, Martha."

"Thank you, Miss Macmillan." Martha beamed. "And thank you once again for offering to look after John while I'm out."

"Of course. It's my pleasure."

"Mummy," John called out loudly, "when are you leaving?"

Martha shot him a playful glare. "So eager to make me leave, this one," she said, shaking her head, before devoting her attention to Maeve. "Now, Miss Macmillan, John's bedtime is at nine, so dinner is usually had at around seven-thirty to eight. He hasn't eaten any supper or had any treats yet. The last meal he had was a brunch of sorts," said Martha, sounding worried.

Maeve smiled comfortingly at her. "Don't worry, I can feed him. You go ahead and enjoy your date with Mr Teller. If I may, where are you planning to go?"

"Oh, nothing fancy," said Martha in a tone that suggested it was something fancy, her cheeks flushed. "Mr Teller's second cousin owns that over-priced restaurant called the Dancing Phoenix? No, that wasn't it. Dancing Hippogriff? No, that's not it either."

"Dancing Dragon?"

"Yes, that one! Anyway, Mr Teller's cousin agreed to give us a discount, what a wonderful man, and set up a quaint little romantic area. I heard the ceiling is enchanted to look like stars there, just like at Hogwarts. After that, we'll take a little walk along the Thames and then retire. I'll be back by midnight. Would you be alright with staying till then? It's not going to be a bother is it, Miss Macmillan?"

"It's completely alright, Martha, really," assured Maeve, and that was when a knock was heard on the door.

Dressed smartly, Mr Teller arrived with roses. Martha appeared elated for receiving roses instead of selling them. John exchanged a hug and kiss with his mother before waving her goodbye.

Love, Everybody ~ Marauder's Era AU IIOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara