xiv

A day or so after the whole 'fight' we had, me and Wilbur were doing better than ever.

The two of us had begun to understand each other's sides of the story more, and we actually liked having some company. 

Turns out when you aren't trying to get at each other's necks, things can be pretty nice; who knew?

"Come on, we've gotta get to the shop!" I yell out, seeing Wilbur walk in from the bathroom while slipping a thin fall jacket on, having traded his trench coat out for it.

You know, since I took him shopping for the laundry.

"I'm coming! I'm coming! Hold your horses Sugarplum," He still used those infuriating nicknames, but I'd stopped rolling my eyes, learning to accept the fact he wasn't gonna change.

"Lea said we could show up in the morning to talk with her, and I texted her a bit ago to let her know we were leaving," I inform, holding the door open so he could step out as I grab my keys and follow behind.

"I remember where it is. We met there, right?" Wilbur looks back to me and I nod, picking up pace.

"Yeah, now come on."

☁︎︎

The two of us throw ourselves into the shop through a small glass door, bell ringing aggressively above us.

"Hi! How can I—" Lea stops when she sees me and Wilbur, letting out a small squeal. "So this is him?!"

She steps out from the counter to dance around Wilbur, as if taking him in and deciding his entire life story from looks alone.

She hadn't remembered him very vividly from the first time they met, which isn't her fault, considering she met hundreds of people every day.

"I like him, he's tall."

"I've never measured myself before, but I'm rather short compared to some people I know," Wilbur admits with a educated tone I wasn't used to hearing, watching my best friend circle him in confusion.

"Lea, you're scaring him. Remember, we aren't normal soulmates, we don't have anything going on between us. There's no need to check him over and stuff, it's just wasted time."

As I speak, Wilbur takes my coat from me and his own in order to set them on the backs of some chairs, Lea watching with a raised eyebrow.

"You sure?"

"Don't be cocky," I mutter, stuffing my hands into my pockets from the lingering cold.

Lea shrugs, giving up as she walks around the counter and grabs two thin slips of paper. "Wilbur, for yours just fill in what you know and I'll be fine with it. y/n, I know your social security number, no lying."

I laugh, already going to fill out my information as Wilbur does the same beside me, just a lot slower in order to read the questions properly.

"I can't answer even a quarter of these," He mumbles, sighing a bit while moving to spell his name out.

I do the same, reading over the basic job application I'd seen many times in my life.

I told myself to wait a week or so before looking for work, but then remembered Lea's own form of occupation.

It was a short walk from the apartment, and the boss never did background checks; which was a huge bonus for the given circumstances. He rarely even read the applications to be honest.

It was perfect for Wil.

I quickly called Lea after making dinner, and in a short conversation told her I'd gotten fired and needed work. She offered up the position of barista, and I couldn't deny.

"Alright, I should be good," Wilbur was done first, holding up his paper with a small smirk, something he often did more than smiling.

Lea takes it with an approving nod and turns to me. "Almost ready?"

I mumble to myself, filling out the last few lines before handing over my slip. She takes it in the same manner, and we share a small look. "You're hired."

Lea's sudden smirk makes my eyes widen and I back up a bit with confusion. "Don't you need to talk with the boss?"

"I already did, said he would take anyone since we're so low on staff."

Wilbur cheers quietly to himself, probably happy to have his first job; unlike in L'manberg, when he had to take on tasks and ranking in order to mean something.

"You can start work next week, boss needs to get your uniforms in first. Speaking of which, what's your sizes?"

☁︎︎

Vote?
Comment?
Follow?

Still not edited but this was in the drafts so here it is now!!!