7. Kane

130 years ago

The table full of people is silent, with nothing but the sounds coming from the clinking of knives and forks on the plates.

Family dinners with my parents had always been quite quiet, I had never been one to be good at small talk, but tonight it is quiet for reasons other than normal, my father is pissed that I had ordered the eating grounds of the Orion to be burnt down.

We had almost shifted and killed each other, if not for my mother stepping in.

My mother clears her throat, putting both her knife and fork down on the plate. "Kane, how is the house coming along?" She asks, breaking the silence.

Lucas sits beside me stuffing his face per usual, not picking up on the tension in the air from my father and I. The house I had been building was taking longer than I thought it would take me, but the lack of sleep had delayed me in building it for a week now, that and protecting the pack as Alpha.

"It's getting there." I tell her, swallowing the last piece of meat on my plate.

She looks happy at my answer and then turns to Lucas who has wide eyes with suddenly all eyes on him at the table. "What?" He mutters out, a mouth full of food.

I roll my eyes at him and grab a drink. "How is being Beta Lucas, is Kane treating you okay?" My mother asks while I ignore their conversation.

"It keeps me busy and of course." He says proudly, eyes beaming at my mother. 

Lucas is like a brother to me, his parents had died in an attack when he was ten years old, leaving him without any family.

The first time I met Lucas he was brought home by my father to live with us, he was too talkative and annoying, he followed me around and since then I have always been with him, he was my first true friend, my father who was Alpha at the time had found his parents slain and Lucas close by, he saw them get killed and since then he had lived with us until he was ten and until we turned sixteen, now he lives in the packhouse with the other wolves.

He had only told me once about his family and that was enough for me, I told him about my family history and we never spoke or brought the topic up again, some things were better left in the past.

He knew everything about me, my past, and the secret I keep hidden from my pack, as does my father and all my ancestors who have the gene. 

I don't want to be seen as a monster, therefore I keep it hidden, only a few I trust know of my true form.

I stand up and look at Lucas for him to follow me. "We can't stay mom, we need to go back out and follow the scent." I tell her, who frowns at me but nods her head, knowing she can't stop me, but it doesn't stop her from worrying.

I can sense her worry for me, her fears for me being Alpha are understandable, as are my fathers, as was his father worried for him. It's risky going out without a mate, I still struggle to control my emotions which affect my shift and make me lose control of my beast.

It's dangerous, and I don't want to hurt anyone from being too fucking weak.

My father gives me a simple nod as I pass him. "Thank you for the meal, and don't worry I will look out for him." Lucas says to my parents, as he follows behind me, sporting his signature smile at my parents.

I want to roll my eye but my lip twitches. 

'You're such a fucking kiss ass.' I mindlink Lucas as we walk out the front door.

"They worry about you, you woke up in the woods again last night Kane." Lucas says once we are within hearing distance.

His nagging has become a daily reminder that I'm stressed, which doesn't help me relax. "Fuck off."