Dawn

Ivy sprinted through the forest, relishing the crisp morning air.

   Her long strides carried her swiftly over the beaten path that snaked through the trees. Dawn having yet to seep through the canopy, her way was illuminated by the elven lanterns, which twinkled at her from the branches, casting her in an ethereal light.

   She half-wished she had the time to take it all in, appreciating it for its beauty, if not its utility, but the weight around her neck reminded her of her goal, and she pushed on, urging herself faster with every step.

   At last, her destination came into view. A thick-trunked, swooping mallibon tree that marked the intersection of the footpath. Ivy's breath escaped her in short gasps. As she drew nearer, she changed her pace, lengthening her strides as she leaned forward. She had nearly reached the base when she gathered her weight beneath her and sprang, arms flying out. She caught herself on a low hanging branch, using her momentum to swing herself forward. Her feet cleaved the air before her, and she released just as her boots met the branch. Swaying for a moment, she held her arms slightly arched at her sides. 

   One...

   Two...

   Three...

   Four...

   Five. 

   She relaxed. Hastily, she pulled a pendant from under her shirt. Attached was a tiny hourglass. As she watched, the last few grains of sand were funneled down. She scowled at it. 

   A low whistle pervaded the peaceful morning air, followed by slow applause.

   Ivy rolled her eyes, revolving on the spot. Languishing in the branches above was a boy wearing a hood that covered his head of ash-blonde hair. As Ivy watched, he rose from his inclined position and gracefully descended through the branches to meet her.

   "Impressive," he remarked, warm brown eyes crinkling at the corners as a quirked smile touched his lips. "The leaping thing was a bit overkill, but..."

   "--we don't know what the tasks are for the assessment--"

   "--and you want to be prepared," the boy recited, then with a frown, added, "You're going to work yourself to death, Ivy,"

   "Use your head, Wren," Ivy scoffed, a grin tugging at her lips. "That can't be my plan; I can't graduate if I'm dead,"

   "Fair, I've heard your grand plan," Wren sighed. "Over and over and--"

   "Shut up," Ivy punched him playfully in the arm. "And I've told you not to wear that ridiculous hood. You already look like a hunter so much as it is. Now your earring's the only thing that tells us different." She punctuated this remark by sweeping the hood from his head, revealing a small amethyst crystal embedded in his left ear. All the students of the Seventh Ringlet wore these earrings, signifying their rank as well as their age. Ivy's ear twitched. It wouldn't be long before it was exchanged for the bronze of a fully-fledged elf, marking her as a citizen of Ferandheim. I just have to pass the Assessment...and the Rite of Passage.

   "Hm," Wren smiled, shrugging off her halfhearted scold. Even for an elf, he was alarmingly tall, with slim shoulders and a pinched character, ascribed to one who didn't eat nearly as much as they should. Still, this didn't take away from his soft and welcoming appearance and the fact that he possessed the rare skill of pleasing without effort and easing the consciousness of those who were lucky enough to be in his company. As if to prove her point, he asked, "Have you been to see Junho recently?"