ONE

NICO POV:
I glanced in the mirror one last time checking that I covered the bruise well enough. I didn't want to be showing up to my first day at a new school with a black eye. I mean, I could just blame it on my soulmate so that I don't have to make up some wild story, but it's easier when people don't ask too many questions. Besides my goal is to just slide under the radar here, keep out of trouble for once in my life, and get off parole.

Luckily there was a bus stop not far from my house since the school is technically in my district still. After about a ten-minute walk I made it to the corner where I saw a few other kids standing and waiting too.

As I should have expected they all look like fancy private school kids, even if it was still a public school. I mean for god's sake, one of them was wearing a fucking tie in the middle of October. Not to mention the name of the school was 'Olympian High' I mean what kind of name is that? Hopefully if the schools full of a bunch of preppy 'daddy's money' kids I won't have to deal with so much shit.

Or I'll have to deal with more cause their daddy can bail them out of anything.

I leaned against a tree just far enough away that hopefully none of them would notice me so I could wait for the bus in peace. But of course, it didn't work because before I knew it three people, two guys, and one girl, were walking over to me. What is it with people always trying to talk to me when I don't want to talk to anyone less?

"Hey," the girl said as she stuck out her hand, "I'm Annabeth Chase, you must be the new kid we've heard was transferring sometime this week."

She must have read the expression of shock on my face because she laughed and added, "News travels fast here."

After eyeing her hand reluctantly I shake it.

"I can tell, my names Nico by the way," I say with a half-ass smile that definitely looks like more of a grimace. I didn't want to be talking to them but I figured I shouldn't be a complete asshole within 5 seconds of meeting them.

"Is it true you got expelled from your last two schools?" the boy with black hair and sea-green eyes asks excitedly.

My jaw dropped, how much did they all know already? Was I already labeled the social reject before I even got the chance to give myself that label?

"And that's my boyfriend, Percy," Annabeth said elbowing him in the ribs, "He has no filter."

"And didn't you put a few guys in the hospital or something?" the blonde one chimes in, seemingly feeding off Percy's dumbass energy.

I scratched the back of my head nervously, what's the point in lying when they clearly have already heard it all? "I wasn't necessarily expelled, more like forcibly recommended to leave," I say sardonically, "At least that's what I tell people."

The two boys laughed and one of them slapped me on my shoulder causing me to flinch, but thankfully they didn't seem to notice. "So did you actually put a few guys in the hospital or is that just a rumor?" Percy asked me.

"It was only two," I correct them before I can stop myself.

"Only two?" Annabeth scoffs, seeming like she regrets coming over to talk to me.

"Were you like raised by the karate kid or Superman or something?" The blonde inquires teasingly.

I shrug, deciding to just kinda go along with this tough guy reputation everyone seems to have for me already, "You could say that."

"I'm Jason by the way," the blonde said sticking his hand out, "Just realised I forgot to introduce myself."

I shook his hand reluctantly, what is it with people always wanting to shake hands with people they just met? I don't know where their hands have been. And more importantly, they don't know where mine have been.

"You guys heard from Will this morning?" Percy asks as the bus rolls up to the curb.

"No," Jason says furrowing his eyebrows and looking around, "Maybe his mom has the day off and is gonna drive him or let him use the car?"

"Or he slept through his alarm again," Annabeth chuckles rolling her eyes. "That guy could sleep through getting murdered. For a morning person, he has a bad habit of sleeping too late."

"I mean he only does it on occasion," Jason shrugs.

I have no idea who this Will person is and I don't care to meet him seeing as I already didn't want to be talking to these three. I went to sit in the back of the bus but Jason pulled me into a seat next to him. I put in my other airpod hoping that would signal that I don't want to fucking talk to them and it worked for the most part. They seemed satisfied at least with my one-word answers and nods in response to their random questions.

When we got to the school I purposely tried to lose them in the crowd of students hurrying to their lockers or class and it thankfully worked. I eventually was able to navigate my way to my locker, which just happened to be in the same hall as theirs. They didn't seem to have noticed yet though thankfully, but while I was watching them I missed the guy slamming my locker closed, just nearly missing my face.

My eyes snap up to meet his and I have to bite my tongue to keep myself from cussing at him.

"You must be the new kid," he smirked, "Not gonna lie, I was expecting better."

I roll my eyes, "Sorry to disappoint, now can I get into my locker or are you just gonna stare at me?"

The boy tutted and his little posse circles me just like in the movies. I'm trapped between the lockers and them.

"Not very friendly new kid, are you? I guess we might just have to teach you how to respect your superiors," he sneered, looming over me since he was the tallest of his little group.

"I hope you're not talking about yourself, because I can assure you that won't be happening," I say sardonically, trying to ignore the feeling of someone breathing down my neck. I can feel my heartbeat increasing but I refuse to show it. I'm more scared of getting in trouble on the first day of my "fresh start" than I am of them. I could see the look on Walker's face if my first day here started with another fight. I know I can handle all of them, but Juvey isn't a fun place.

"Hey watch it, kid," he barked jeering towards me making me flinch. They all burst out laughing like it was the funniest thing in the world. Before I knew it the guy grabbed the back of my head and hit my face against my locker hard. I feel a trickle of blood fall from my nose from the pressure of hitting the metal.

"Look, guys, I'm not looking for any trouble," I say putting my hands up in a nonthreatening way, though it hurt my heart to do it when all I wanted to do was punch him in the throat.

"I knew you were just gonna be a fucking coward," a kid from behind me howled with laughter.

"The stories were way too played up, just like I said boys," the tallest commented. He punched me in the face and I felt his ring cut open my lip. I wiped the blood from my face on the back of my hand and fought the urge to at least kick him in the balls. The bell rang and all of them hurried off laughing to their classes.

"Figlio di puttana," I grumble wiping the blood on my jeans.