Tragedies 101

Tragedies 101 

Chapter One

          My fingers brushed across each notebook binding as I searched for my Calculus notebook. My fingers gripped onto one as I pulled it out quickly and shoved it into my book bag which hung by my side. I grabbed my textbook and put that in there as well. The bell sounded above my head, I slammed my locker door shut and ran swiftly to class.

          My textbook lay open on my desk. I was leaning back into my chair, my fingers fiddling with my pencil. Kenny, the boy I was sitting next to, had his head back, mouth wide open, eyes shut, and his nose was moving up and down each time it let out a loud snore. Leslie was sitting behind him making paper airplanes. She threw it at the half way deaf teacher to get her attention. Mrs. Nickels whipped around when she felt the folded paper hit her back. She glared at the class when Kenny’s loud snoring finally caught her attention.

          She picked up her textbook and walked over to his desk, taking silent steps. She slammed her book down on his desk making a loud boom sound. Kenny’s head shot right up as he hastily stood up out of his chair and swiftly looked from left to right. He then noticed Mrs. Nickel’s evil glare which was stuck on him. “Did ya’ll hear that gunshot?” He voiced. All the kids in the class let out a harmony of laughter. “I’m serious!” He shouted, making everything melodramatic. “Kenny,” Mrs. Nickels said patiently, “Sit down.”      

          Kenny ran his fingers through his brunette hair as he carefully yet quickly sat down. “Thank you, and if you fall asleep again, I am going to send you to Mr. Crimson’s office.” Mr. Crimson was the principal. Poor guy had to sit and talk to juvenile delinquents all day. Mrs. Nickels picked up her book and swiftly walked back to the front of the room. “Flip to page fifty-six. Your homework are the problems on that page. Numbers one through thirty-five. You need to show your work and write legibly. This is due next time we meet.”

          The class groaned as they all turned to the correct page. “There are five minutes of class left. Go over the questions, and if you must, you can start to work on them.” She sat in her chair which was sitting behind her desk. She flipped open her book and started to read the next lesson to herself. Man I sure would hate to be a teacher. Especially a teacher for high school students.

          The annoying and obnoxious bell rang three times, letting us know it was time for lunch. I slid my stuff into my book bag and started to head out the door, hopefully Mrs. Nickels wouldn’t - .

          “Miss. Clarkson?”  A silent groan sounded in my head as I turned to face her. “Yes?”

          “Tori, I have decided that you have a poor work ethic.”

I looked at her with a confused expression on my face. “A poor work ethic?” She nodded, “You see, I have noticed that your work doesn’t get turned in, and if it does, it’s way late and doesn’t really count for anything.”

          “Yeah well you’ve only been the teacher for a couple weeks, so you don’t know me or my reasons.” I said, an angry tone in my voice. “Well, could you possibly tell me your reasons?” I tore my eyes away from hers and looked around the classroom. “No. The only person I told was the last teacher, I want Zody back.” I turned and stormed out of the classroom. Mrs. Nickels leaned back into her chair and dropped her hands to her sides. Zody was my favorite teacher. He was the only man who was like a father to me. I told him everything. I just wanted him back.

I walked angrily to my locker. I turned the combination lock to the three numbers and opened it. I threw my math book in there which was followed by my notebook. I then threw my bag in there and banged it shut. I leaned up against it and took a deep breath. “Nice going Tori, now you probably have the new teacher hating you. Imagine what she will be talking about in the teachers lounge.” I whispered to myself.