Chapter 81

***

***

After the exciting Defense Against the Dark Arts class, all that anyone could talk about was their new lesson, everyone boasting about how they had managed to face their worst fears, telling all about it to anyone who would listen.

Even during Charms, which usually consisted practical lessons and all the students enjoyed it, they were still too unfocused to listen to Professor Flitwick. It couldn't possibly live up to the Boggart.

     Although their second class of the day, right before Charms and after Defense Against the Dark Arts, managed to grab their interest once again and get the Boggart out of their heads for the time being. They had their first lesson of Care of Magical Creatures with Professor Kettleburn.

Professor Kettleburn was a middle-aged man with silver hair and a weirdly huge mustache over his thin lips. He was missing a hand, having an artificial one instead of it. Each time he returned from one of his journeys, he broke at least one part of his body or burnt half his face off.

      "Gather 'round, everyone!" He called out once the students showed up by the edge of the dark forest where he awaited them, near Hagrid's old hut. "Is that everyone? I've got a scar over my left eyes, but I'm pretty sure four boys are running toward us."

    Jenna turned around to look behind her just like everyone else, and sure enough, she saw James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter, running down the green hills in the distant. They finally caught up with the rest of the class after a minute, completely out of breath. They always seemed to be late, but this time it seemed like something had actually happened.

     "Well, if that's everyone, better get going!" said Professor Kettleburn in a cheerful tone, walking off into the forest.

     The students shared worried looks, but followed him through the woods either way.

     "Isn't the forest supposed to be forbidden?" Lily whispered to Jenna, but she was barely listening. She could tell that something was wrong with James.

    She kept looking over at her brother's direction and his friends. Sirius looked to be in an extremely foul mood, Peter was pale and shaky, and James was deep in thoughts as though trying to come up with a plan.

     "I'll be right back," Jenna mumbled distractedly, before leaving her friends' side and walking toward James.

     "Where have you lot been?" Jenna whispered to James as soon as she reached him, walking side-by-side now.

     "We ran into Snivellus right after the Defense class," James grumbled, his eyebrows furrowed over his lopsided glasses. "Peter had gone to use the loo. When he took too long we went after him in the boys' bathroom to see what was wrong, but saw that Snape and Avery were using a jinx on him, dangling him in mid-air."