my last sacrifice

“Damn it I’m late!” I thought as I walked home. My bus had broken down, and by the time they had fixed it, the sun was going down. I was expected home an hour ago. I sighed as I turned the corner.

I was so close to home. I noticed some movement from underneath a lamp-post across the street. I stopped and looked. It was a man dressed entirely in black. “He looks like he’s watching me” I thought. I shook my head. That’s what I get for watching late night horror movies…

I walked into the kitchen to see my mother’s angry – yet worried face. “Where have you been young lady? You’re late!” I dropped my bag on the floor. “Sorry mom, my bus broke down. I could have called you if I had a phone…” I was hinting like crazy to get a phone and now seemed like a perfect opportunity. She sighed.  “Maybe,.” Her features softened. “Now put your bag in your room and get ready for dinner.” I rolled my eyes.  “Yes mom.” I picked up my bag and headed to my room.

My sister was running with my brother hot on her heels. She was giggling. It was nice to see them playing with each other. That put a smile on my face. When I got to my room, I threw my bag on the floor, and then headed to the bathroom to wash up.

As punishment for my lateness, I had to set the table. As I put the last plate down, my mother called out to say it was dinner time. The smell of chicken filled the house. It smelt delicious. I heard the stomp of feet running down the stairs and 10 seconds later, my brother and sister entered the dining room. My mother came in carrying a nice looking chicken. She placed it on the table and not even glancing back said “Tom, Mary-Ann, what have I told you about running in the house?” Good thing she didn’t know about before. “Sorry mom” they mumbled in unison. I sat down at the table. “Dinner looks great mom.” I was being truthful too. She sat down and so did my siblings. Pulling a carving knife off the table, she began to cut – and serve the chicken. I looked around the table. “Hey mom, where are the peas? And the potatoes?” She looked around to and noticed they weren’t there. “Ohh! I left them on the bench. I’ll go get them.” Trying to get back into my mom’s good books (even though my lateness was not my fault) I offered to go and get them. She smiled gratefully as I got up. “Thank you sweetie.”

After we had finished dinner, we started to clean up when we heard the door open. Mary-Ann ran off with my mom yelling “Mary-Ann! What have I told you about running in the house?” She shook her head and chuckled. Tom had left almost at the same time as Mary-Ann so it was just me and my mom. I looked at her with puppy dog eyes. She sighed and nodded.

I walked with bounce in my step. I left the dining room and looked down the hallway to see my dad being mobbed by my siblings. I ran and wrapped my arms around him. “Daddy!” I cried happily. I let go as he stood up. “Guys, guys will you let me get my hat off?” he said laughing as he did.

We were always excited when dad came home because he was a cop. He put himself in harm’s way every day. So we were happy when he came home because that meant he wasn’t dead. My mother’s sing song voice floated out of the kitchen telling my father there was some food for him in the oven. He licked his lips expectantly.

As we all sat down on the couch, my dad seemed to remember something. “I found this on the door step” he said holding an envelope. “It’s addressed to you Hayley.” I took the envelope out of his hands. “Thanks dad.” I groaned. I had forgotten I had homework. I explained, and then excused myself to my room. Mr Tan would kill me if I didn’t finish my English homework.

When I had finished my homework, I remembered the letter my dad had found. I looked at it. “Hmm” I thought. “No return address.” I opened it to see beautiful cursive writing.

“You will be mine,” was all they had written.

I threw it away laughing. Probably a prank. I shoved it out of my mind after that.