Forget-Me-Not

"Mabel, it's me!" I cry out like a victim in the night. Mabel gives me a genuinely confused look. She shakes her head repeatedly like someone trying to forget.

     "N-No... The doctors told me I could forget everything. 'Take a-way my pain!' I said! But they LIED. They lied, and lied, and lied, because I know you from somewhere... Its making my head hurt!! Somebody! Please! Make the pain stop!!!" Mabel puts her head in her hands and covers her ears as if she was trying to stop the voices in her head. She finally looks up at me with horror in her expression.

    "Now I know!! It was you! YOU were the one who put me in here!!! You are the voice in my head, the voice that made me like this!" Mabel begins to scream nonsense; so much so that the doctors come running into the Rec room.

     "What's going on here?!" The doctor approached Mabel. Upon seeing this man, my heart wrenches. Not just for Mabel, but for the countless others that have been forced to live in these foul conditions.

    "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO HER?!?" I scream. The doctor turns around, a furious expression on his face.

     "Wait a minute... I've never seen you before in my life! You're not an authorized patient!" The man whispers harsh words into the Bluetooth on his ear.

     "I just called security. You-"

      "I. DON'T. CARE. What have you done to Mabel?!" I shake the security guard with my battered hands.

     "Fine. I'll give you your last satisfaction before you go to prison. Whenever we receive a new patient, we wipe their mind clean. Its easy on the patients, and easy on the doctors! There's hardly any work to do! We just give 'em food, stick them in the rec room, and then wait until its mandatory rest! We hardly have to care for them. And if one of 'em steps out of line..." The doctor pulls a whip out of his lab coat. He smirks, and is quite satisfied with himself.

    I can feel the anger pulsing through my veins. All of the sudden, a blue flame erupts in the palm of my hand. I have my powers back! I smirk and float about two feet above the despicable man, feeling more powerful than ever.

    "Ahhh, how great it feels to have my magic returned to me! I'm back, baby!" The man cowers over and falls to his knees.

     "W-what are you?!?" He shouts.

     "I'm your worst nightmare!" I cackle and shoot a ball of flame in his direction. He dodges it, but I'm not done yet.

      "Please! Stop! I'll do anything- just say the word! Anything to spare my life!" I raise my eyebrow and give the foul man a quizzical look.

      "Anything, you say? Well, for starters... I'm gonna need you to restore Mabel's memories! Do we have a deal? Your life in exchange for my shooting star?"

     "I-I'm afraid I can't do that for you, sir. Please understand! Once we wipe a person's memories they're gone for good! Unless.." He trails off. I'm beginning to grow impatient.

     "Unless what." I strain.

     "You'll need a trigger- something or someone to restore all of her memories. I just don't know what that is for this particular patient..." He motions to Mabel.

      "If you're misleading me, I swear..." I mutter under my breath. A person can only take so much. I tie the man up in a strait jacket for good measure. Let's see how he likes it instead.

    Mabel is still in the corner of the room, covering her ears with her small and delicate hands. I slowly approach her, and carefully take her hands off her ears. She turns around with hatred burning behind chocolate colored eyes. God, I never wanted it to turn out this way.

     "What. Do. You. Want." Mabel seethes through gritted teeth. I don't say a word, causing a long awkward silence. I just stand there, searching my mind for something Mabel can hold on to; a memory. All of the sudden, the silence is no longer deafening between us as I begin to sing. This is the last song I sang to Mabel. Our last goodbye.

     "... I don't believe that anybody feels the way I do, about you now. Because maybe, you're gonna be the one that saves me. And after all... You're my wonderwall," I sing with pure love and emotion coursing through my soul. Almost immediately, I feel her arms around me. She doesn't want to let go, I can tell; and neither do I. In this moment all I know is that I have my Shooting Star back: the love of my life.