The bell above the door chimes, and the two ladies turn to the sound. It's Jerome and his friends. The sight of them puts a smile on Mary's face.

"Well, well, look what the cat dragged in," she teases and sits her hands on her hips. They watch them approach. "Your friends must be the flies to your flypaper, the way they stick to you like glue."

"Is that so?" Khalíd narrows his eyes at her and gives her a mocking head shake.

"Whoa, I've never heard Goldfinger here speak. It's quite impressive." He takes a step forward, and Jerome lifts his right hand to keep him behind him. "Don't lose your cool, K. I was only joshing you."

"He's in a mood because of what happened earlier. Some freshman spilled yogurt on his sweatshirt," Jerome explains, then rolls his eyes.

"Aww, that's too bad. I was looking forward to seeing you in it again." She faces the machine. "But anywho, I noticed that you finally reached the top of the leaderboard, and I've been trying my best to knock you down to your rightful place: third."

"Good luck with that," he says. Mary submits her initials onto the scoreboard and steps to her left to clear a path for him.

"Well, your Majesty, grace us with your prowess and wisdom." She bows with her hand extended to usher him closer to the screen. He chuckles lightly on his way to her place.

"Goose," Manuel says through a feigned cough, then he snickers with Khalíd. The girls glance at him, but Judith's eyes lock on for a few seconds longer.

"Beaner," Judith blurts out, and all of their eyes light up, especially hers. She opens her mouth to apologize, but he stops her.

"Bed wench!" As if her body was acting on its own, she thrusts her narrow-necked bottle of soda forward yet barely splashes his university sweatshirt.

"Oh, shit," Eric says through nervous laughter that none of them share with him. He and Khalíd step toward Jerome, who's watching with a confused expression.

"What the fuck," Manuel yells with his arms extended to his sides, and his gaze on the small stain. She drops it onto the floor, leaving behind shattered pieces as she pushes past him on her way to the exit.

"Judy!" Mary runs after her, passing the clerk who's peering over the shelves. Once they're outside, her expression shifts from confused to solemn when she notices Judith sobbing. "Judy, what's wrong?"

"I don't feel better, Mare," she tells her. The breeze sweeps pasts them, ruffling their hair. As she speaks, she hiccups. "I feel - sad, I feel - hurt. I even - feel disgusting, and I can't - I can't keep pretending like I'm okay."

"Then let's go to Dean O'Connell," she suggests in a gentle tone. "He can help you; it's his job."

"Don't you get it?" She raises her voice, then turns to face her with tears cascading down her cheeks. "David's rich. He boasts all the time about it, and even if he wasn't, I still wouldn't tell on him. You know why?"

Mary licks her lips, then asks her, "Why?"

"Because one, my people fear authority, and two, I'm head over heels in love with him," she confesses. "He was my first boyfriend, my first kiss, my first - everything. I'll never find someone close to being as perfect as him who has himself together, who has the money to care for us both."

"That's not true," Mary assures her. Jerome slowly pushes the left door open, but the bell alerts them, and they look at him.

"Come in or get out! The electric bill is high enough to give me a heart attack, and if you care about that machine, you'll stop giving away my air," the shopkeeper nags from behind the counter, and Jerome steps toward them.

"Is everything okay," he asks as the door swings shut. Judith lowers her eyes onto her shoes. Mary swaps her gaze between the two of them.

"Everything's copacetic." She folds her arms, and he does the same. "Right, Judy?"

"Yeah. I'm sorry for causing a scene," Judith mumbles, and he gives Mary a confused look.

"What'd she say?" Judith rolls her eyes onto the idle gas pumps.

"She said sorry for tossing a drink at your friend," she loudly repeats. Jerome shakes his head and snickers.

"Don't sweat it," he says. "He can be a lot at times, but I never expected him to be outright disrespectful. Don't apologize for sticking up for yourself."

"I'm guessing you're gonna stay friends with him," Judith asks without looking at him, and he shrugs.

"I mean, if he apologizes to you and you accept it, I will." She scoffs incredulously, then folds her arms. "Can you look at me? I'd rather see your eyes and not the inside of your ear."

"Don't talk to my friend like that," Mary asserts. She looks at Judith when she shakes her head. "What's wrong?"

"It's cool, Mare. Actually, could you give us a moment alone?" She nods, gives him a short glare, then returns inside the seven-eleven.