46

Maki was back in the hidden leaf, and no matter how much fun she had with her best friend and master, it was nice to be back in the place she called home. Of course, being nagged by Tsunade for getting lost too many times on the way back, and for saving the enemy wasn't great but still. If you ignored all of that, then the hidden leaf was okay.

As they all stood to verbally report their mission to their hokage, her ears perked up at the mention of Asuma. It was well past the time he was supposed to die in the show, and so she assumed everything was alright.

Only, Asuma was sent to this mission without his team.

And...

"You need to go right now for back up, team ten."

"Yes, ma'am." Shikamaru, Ino and Choji left the room without another word, not even bothering to restock on their supplies as they were informed on how quickly they needed to head to their sensei.

"Maki," Tsunade was leaned back in her chair as she called the brown haired girl, but Maki had way too many thoughts racing in her mind to properly hear what she was saying. What she did hear, was the woman telling Maki to rest. Tsunade didn't let her argue when she tried to, and Maki felt her face form into one of shock and panic, making the hokage sigh and stand up, walking towards her and placing a hand on her back while pushing her out the door. "Don't worry about Asuma," She nodded. "He'll be fine. They all will."

Maki wanted to believe that so bad. She really did. But unfortunately she possessed  knowledge that she was starting to think was more of a curse than a blessing.

"Kurama..." She muttered, her voice in her head croaking slightly as she turned to him for help like she always did when she didn't know what to do. Kurama was her best-friend after all. She trusted him with her life. "What do I do?"

"Stay calm, kit." Kurama wouldn't lie. He wouldn't say Asuma would live. Kurama was honest to her, and that only made her heart break. "Stay calm."

The next day, the light rain felt much more heavier than it should have.

The sobs broke her heart, and yet she couldn't find it in herself to cry. How could she cry when she had the power to stop this, and didn't? What right did she have? 

Kurenai stood to her right, and Maki was closely guarded by her side while Shikamaru was on Kurenais right side. They were both being protective, because Kurenai was pregnant. And now, that was all that was left of Asuma in this world.