Chapter 5

ADA MARGARETTE

It's Monday.

I'm finally going back to business! Pero hindi pa rin mawala sa isip ko yung sinabi ng mama ni Stacy na magkikita kami ngayon dito sa school.

Erase! Erase!

Umagang umaga puro negative vibes ang nalalanghap ko, dapat hindi ganito. Good vibes lang dapat.

Nagsimula na ang klase at seryoso akong nakinig sa discussion ng teacher namin. Buti nalang at nakapag-advance study ako kaya alam ko na ang mga tinuturo niya.

Hindi pa rin pala ako huli after a week of suspension.

"Miss Hernandez, please stand up." nilingon ko agad ang teacher at tumayo ng marahan.

"You've been away for a week. How was the suspension?" sarkastikong tanong ni Ma'am Abueva kaya naman kahit anong inis ang namumuo sa utak ko ngayon, eh hindi ako pwedeng sumagot sagot.

"A week of suspension was still productive for me, Ma'am. I was able to study the lessons in advance so I won't be behind the class discussion." I politely answered and beamed a timid smile at her.

"Oh really? So that means, you also made some character development?" her follow-up question.

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Okay then, let me know your thoughts about this quote, The tribunal of conscience exists, independent of edicts and decrees."

I was startled to hear the quote, I was unfamiliar of it. I tried to brainstorm and hoped for an idea to pop out.

"Ma'am, as humans, we are driven by our sense of feelings and emotions. Therefore, we are also bound to conform on what's morally approved, and that is to feel conscience when we do something that doesn't feel right. Conscience comes out naturally, there's no need for court proceedings in order for us to feel it." I answered.

She clapped at my answer and I didn't know if she was either impressed or disgusted with my response.

"Very good. That's what you totally need to feel, hija. Conscience for the misinformation you caused to your fellow student." she pointed at me and I didn't know what to react.

Why am I the villain here? I wasn't the one who started it, if only people knew how harsh Stacy was with her sharp words involving the owner of this school.

But I bet they won't reveal it further as it might cause shade in Mr. De Loughrey's reputation.

"Okay, class. You're dismissed!" she said and stormed out of the classroom.

I sat down and contemplated things out, I was wrong but Stacy made me do wrong.

"Hey, Ada. Alam mo nandito lang kami para i-support ka, dapat talagang maparusahan si Stacy, ang sama sama ng ugali niya." sabi ng classmate ko at lumabas na sa room para mag snacks.

I usually don't go to the canteen whenever there's a break because I don't wanna spend my money over these foods. Tsaka may baon naman akong rice kaya kasya na yon para sa buong araw.

Matapos ang 30 minutes break ay nagsibalikan na sa room ang mga classmates ko, nag ready na kami for the next subject at lumipas ang minuto ay hindi pa rin dumadating ang teacher.

Inihiga ko ang ulo ko muna sa arm desk ko at umidlip, baka matagal pa yon si Ma'am. Gusto ko muna magkaroon ng peace of mind kahit ang ingay ng iba kong classmates.

10 minutes has passed and our teacher haven't showed up yet, baka may urgent meeting sila?

"Class, good morning. My apologies for being late, the owner of our school has instructed me to do some document checking." bumuntong hininga siya muna bago magpatuloy sa pagsasalita.

"Okay, so shall we start?" she asked and immediately started het lesson.

This teacher of ours is very creative with the way she delivers her explanation to the lessons and makes it easier for us to understand better at what she's discussing.

"Ada Margarette Hernandez, please proceed to the Guidance Office."

Napapikit nalang ako ng mata nang marinig ang pangalan sa speaker. Eto na talaga yon, malilintikan na naman ako at hindi na 'to maganda para sa pagiging valedictorian ko ng batch namin.