Blood Born- chapter 1

Start from the beginning

"Nothing, mother."

"Do not take that tone with me. You are supposed to be training right now!"

"We always train. I want a day off."

"Evelyn, you know how important it is."

"Yes, I know how important this is to you."

"When we get back to the castle, march straight to the throne room. Your father and I will be having a long discussion with you."

"We always have long discussions."

"Which is what we're going to talk about."

I followed close behind my mother. Thinking about riding off a few times. Hampton Court castle loomed ahead of us like a prison for me.

"Up the drive-way, young lady. Do not ruin that grass more than what you have."

"The gravel is rough on Guinevere's hooves."

"She's a horse. She's shoed. She's fine."

I sighed heavily and nudged her up the loose gravel.

"Don't do that. It's so unbecoming of you, Evelyn."

"Everything is unbecoming of me, mother."

Mother slid off Scarlet; her large, black Friesian, and tapped her slippered toe waiting for me to follow.

"To the throne room." She pointed down the hall at a large set of oak doors.

"I know where the throne is, thank you very much." I stormed down the hall and through open the doors.

She walked close behind, pausing at my father's study.

"Cassius!"

"Yes, love?" He looked at her face, and then glanced at me. "Oh. I'll be right there. I need to finish up talks with Prince James first."

"He can wait. Your daughter cannot."

Father winced at that. Mother usually referred to me as his daughter when she was really mad. She was really mad. I opened my mouth to say something when the same man I saw on the road popped his head out.

"Peasant girl?"

"Arrogant man."

"Peasant?" my father asked, looking at me. "That's the princess, my daughter."

"That is your daughter?" he asked in disbelief.

"Why does everyone do that?" I asked.

Father glared at me as he spoke to the man. "She usually doesn't look like such a ragamuffin."

"I'm sure." The man furrowed his brow and pressed his lips into a fine line before returning to the study.

"You'll excuse me for a moment. Apparently Queen Joselyn thinks I need to go immediately."

"I don't think so, Cassius. I know so," Mother nearly growled.

"Can we get this over with? The ragamuffin wants to go eat," I said, sighing heavily again.

"Stop all that sighing!" mother hollered.

"You know who she reminds me of, don't you?"

"Who?" Queen Joselyn asked.

"You."

"Never."

"Yes. She is you. Same attitude and everything."

"Don't push it, Cassius."

They closed the door behind them and took their seats on the platform. I stood before them, feeling more like a prisoner than the princess of England.