(xiii) Smells Like Teen Spirit

xiii

xiii.
Smells Like Teen Spirit

$$$

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

               Blair Cameron was well aware that her sister was going to get involved in the gold hunt eventually.

          She expected it to be a little later, maybe when they've secured the load and were just about to cash it (rumor has it the Royal Merchant sunk with gold bars tagged British; she read in an article once, titled "How To Bend The Law, Pockets Full, Second Edition", that she found in the library of her mother's house) but certainly not on the brink of acquiring it. All they had left was lowering themselves into the well under the Crain House and trying to extract the gold without losing any limbs in the axe murderer's anything-but-humble abode.

           John B told Blair first. They were under the window to her father's study, and maybe he wouldn't heard them if he was home. Maybe he was. The Routledge boy licked his lips and found it fitting to ask Blair for permission to involve her sister, after which which she reminded him that Kiara Carrera would never ever agree to work with Sarah. He said that he was aware, but wanted to try anyway.

          It would've been concerning to anyone else just how strong the hold Sarah had on John B was; Blair, however, understood. It was easy to fall into love, let it infect your blood like the sourest of diseases, but it was harder to make the distinction between true love and the soft, puppy tint of it all. Would you die for each other? Would you slit your wrists in two for one another? Or would you call this love whatever? Oftentimes, the strongest types of infatuation, adoration, usually comes fast and sprints down a slope of grass until it gets tangled in the bear-traps laid out to catch unwanted brain activity. Again . . . Blair knew all about it.

          She could feel the weight of it when she made her way into the Château's porch, and sat on the old outdoor couch besides Sarah. John B propped himself up besides her and said "Kie's on her way, we'll do what we can to convince her, okay?" He shared a glance with Pope and JJ, who didn't seem all too convinced as to how they could fix the girls' relationship. But if Blair made it once, then maybe her sister could, too.

And they weren't wrong because, when Kiara caught sight of Sarah, she might as well have combusted into flames right in front of them. Her jaw fell and she kept pacing around, angry eyes on Blair and John B more than most (well, him more than her because he was the one to lie after all, but she thought Blair understood just how much she didn't want to work with Sarah).

"No effing way!" she yelled. "You brought her here? So what? She's in on this now?"

           Blair offered her a meek smile and a wave. "Hi, Kia."